New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I am thinking of building stands.

Started by Tim, November 24, 2004, 09:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Here is a pic of one I built for my 75 gallon.
Anyone interested? If so let me know the width and depth and I will give you a price. Also let me know if you need a canopy and whether or not you would need lighting in it. This would be much cheaper then stores and MUCH sturdier.

328iGuy

Wow VERY nice.....actuallly almost identical to my 100 gallon stand.

You use Pine I assume?

I have a 36" long 55 gallon....give me an estimate?

Tim

How deep is it? Yes I use pine and 2X4 framing.

328iGuy

Quote from: "Tim"How deep is it? Yes I use pine and 2X4 framing.

Now youre asking a lot :).  

Come on people Im too lazy to go downstairs and look, a 36" long 55 gallon, what would the depth and height be?

Tim

328iGuy

I *THINK* its 12" deep, dont know if that sounds right for a 55 gallon.......

Tim

For the stand alone it would be $180.
For a canopy add $80 without lighting.

328iGuy

Pisidan

That is a beautiful Stand I would love to have one from you  for my 45 gallon since it is on a cheapmetal crappy looking stand! Would it include a top as well..cause that would be the bomb ;)

328iGuy

Quote from: "Pisidan"That is a beautiful Stand I would love to have one from you  for my 45 gallon since it is on a cheapmetal crappy looking stand! Would it include a top as well..cause that would be the bomb ;)

For an additional cost he builds the canopy as well.

BigDaddy

36*18*20 gives you a 3 foot 55 gallon tank

328iGuy

Eirikre

I would double check your aquarium measurements to be sure before making an order.  The standard 55g is 48"(length) * 12"(width) * 18"(height).

Eirikre

That is really an impressive looking stand.  Unfortunately I am very happy with the stands I have right now but I may want to free up my 6' cabinet for a larger aquarium so I will need somewhere to move my 75g.

What would it cost for 48" x 18" with and without the canopy?

artw

just wondering how you vent that hood -  I built a canopy somewhat similar and was always having problems with humidity.  (the flourescents wouldn't fire)  now granted I was using cheap old fixtures that were 100 years old and the endcaps were not sealed

saltydog

I know that this sounds like "black magic" but I have been told that sometimes fluorescent lights won't fire because they need metal around them. When I build a 12 foot long strip to fit under a window valence I put a strip of metal alongside the tubes.
-thankful for a tankfull-

Tim

Quote from: "artw"just wondering how you vent that hood -  I built a canopy somewhat similar and was always having problems with humidity.  (the flourescents wouldn't fire)  now granted I was using cheap old fixtures that were 100 years old and the endcaps were not sealed

I use high output outdoor ballasts and bulbs so I have no problem.

dpatte

i have also found that flouescents may not light unless mounted near metal. In one case I solved the problem my lining my hood with some aluminum foil.

artw

david we are speaking about the same fixtures..  (your old ones from Big Als,  and the cheapies at Home Depot)
sometimes when I touch the lightbulb,  just touch it,  not press on it,  it turns on.

dpatte

art - i had this problem with some fixtures 25 years go which i resolved with aluminum foil.

The old Big als fixtures if mounted whole, with their metal box, have never had a problem starting for me - otherwise i fixed this by changing the bulbs