New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

A crude, poorly made but (hopefully) effective aquarium lamp

Started by tuvok, November 27, 2004, 01:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuvok

Greets all:

While trying to set up my 5.5g tank (still cycling, going through what looks like the nitrite spike) I decided to try to get some light on this tank. At first I tried a clip-on lamp but the darn thing fell off so I decided to try something else.

I picked up a GE T8 fluorescent light fixture designed for under cabinets and such and built a very crude sort of frame for it to act as an aquarium lamp over my glass cover. The bulb it came with was a 15w warm white. I intend to replace this with what I think is a 15w daylight (f15/D) T8 bulb (at least that is what I think was printed on the bulb).

Right now it looks pretty ugly but it is really a proof of concept endeavor at the moment. Once the tank (hopefully) cycles I would like to add some plants to see how they like this set up. My intent is to use the light fixture without the lens or bulb cover that came with it.

Anyway, I just thought I'd show my skills (or lack thereof) off and invite any comments on the viability of this plan.

Pisidan

Looks fine to me I used to use those over some of my smaller tanks as well :)

yellowtang

a standing step over an aquarium.hehehehhehe
now you can reach what you couln't reach on the kitchen
cabinets., plus you illuminate the floor. heeeeee hhehehehe
just having a bit of fun with you.
looks alright I guess. 8)  8)  8)  8)
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

BigDaddy

Just for future projects.. try going with a 13 watt compact flourescent or two.  They only measure 7 inches or so.  You could fit one within the footprint of your 5.5 gallon.

Walmart has 4100K 13W bulbs... and you could go to Buchannon or Marchand and get a ballast and end cap for it.

Although, the 15W is probably less than 20 bucks at CrappyTire... whereas that's probably what you'd pay just for a 13W electronic ballast for the CF.

Doesn't look pretty... but hey sometimes you don't care right?

luvfishies

I don't mind that at all; with a little paint and polish it will be just fine. Add a reflector behind the light (Mylar....try www.hydroponics.com) and you'll be able to light that tank up!

tuvok

Thanks all for the feedback so far.

If you knew the details of how I put this together there is no way you would consider stepping on this thing ;)

Cost and ease of construction were factors that were considered. BigDaddy is right about the price, the GE fixture was less than $20.00 and if the bulbs I have in mind are the  right type they should be about $3 and change. The CF option would be really good for if I ever get the skill, time and patience to make a nice looking hood that fits the tank, although (as luvfishies suggested) I suspect that with more planning I could make a more attractive structure following this basic design. With that said, as Big Daddy suggested, I just want it to work in order to have a fighting chance at growing plants.

I was thinking about a reflector as well but I'm not seeing anything that would fit easily inside the prefab fixture.

luvfishies

tuvok, mylar is flexible..check out the link I posted. You'd be looking at maybe $2 and it's easy as heck to use and install.

Pisidan

You could cut that down in size by cutting it to fit on the top of the tank. Like my 55 gallon only a smaller version show you an example and it would look more pleasing to look at! Just a little latch thingy I picked up at walmart. Just make the top a little wider than the top of the tank put those things on and the lid sits right on simple and cheap all you would have to do is saw the sides a bit and the top reattach it and voila more esthecially pleasing top!