New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY heather holder

Started by pegasus, December 31, 2004, 01:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pegasus

For the second time this year, I lost a full tank of fish to heathers. Both heathers had previously fallen in the aquarium before. They probably took some water and gradually corrode the sensor switch. I always had problem with suction cups, they are good as long as they and the glass are kept clean.
That's it!!! I had enough and had to do something about it. Here's my solution. I cut the bottom of a rigid plastic container leaving a narrow part of the side, and then used a wood spade drill to cut the hole for the heather. 5 min done!

pegasus

PS the holder in the picture his the prototype. I did find a better plastic later on.   :D

DARKPHREAK

Weird... all of my heaters are completely submerged. Most of them lying 180 degrees near the bottom. Its a good idea though.

pegasus

QuoteWeird... all of my heaters are completely submerged
Wow! Where did you find a submerged heather for a 2gal tank? :)

slickshooter

How long can Heather stay in the water before you bring her up :lol:

DARKPHREAK

Sorry I didnt know it was a 2g...

pegasus

Don't be so sorry DARKPHREAK.... When I had over 24 tanks I just couldn't afford the submerged heathers. The only one I had was for my marine tank. I'm now trying out the electronic sensors instead and I'll see how they fare.

pegasus

QuoteHow long can Heather stay in the water before you bring her up
OOps! I forgot about her.