New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lights again

Started by Mila, February 14, 2005, 08:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mila

Hi guys
Can somebody tell me, what is recommended minimum space between T8 tubes?

Thanks
Mila

dannypd

What wattage are we going?

Mila

dannypd

Not to post any one word question, but what reflective material are we using?  Also, do you plan to insulate?  Ventilation?

I would recommend minimum 2-3", this would be a waste but safe from fire.  The most you can sperate, the better.  If you are building this custom, get the ballast as far as you can from the tank (less heat inside the tank).

redbelly

I mounted my balast on the outside of the tank at the back to give more space in the hood for more lights, help reduce the heat going into the tank, and keep the balasts safe from moisture.

just a bit of info that might be usefull to people out there is that chip bags are made out of mylar, so if you want a cheap piece of reflective material (and a tasty snack!) that readily available you might want to try this. it would work great for a small tank, but i would imagine it wouldnt be worth the effort for a larger hood... oh yeah, might be better to eat the chip in one go and not crumple the bag up to save em for later...

Marx

i have 4 - 110w VHO about 1.5" apart..

my ballast is mounted above the system.. and i can turn off lights and grab bulbs after 10 hours of use..

BigDaddy

If you look at industrial/commercial setups, they place the bulbs with less than an inch of space between them.

If you look at compact fluorescents, they are essentially T5 bulbs doubled over.

I think proper placement over the tank and a good reflector are more important than the physical spacing of the bulbs.

Its a balance really... close together you get a "single source" of light, but more restrike and heat.  Place them far apart, and individually without reflectors, you might not get as much "usuable" light at the bottom of the tank.

Mila

Sorry, 32W I mean 1 bulb (48" tube). I like to get 5 bulbs in 12" wide hood. Balasts will be in separate box on top of the hood.
Mila

dannypd

Quote from: "BigDaddy"Its a balance really... close together you get a "single source" of light, but more restrike and heat.  Place them far apart, and individually without reflectors, you might not get as much "usuable" light at the bottom of the tank.

It's the restrike and heat I really worry about...a lot.

I've personally had much more luck spacing them apart with reflectors.

I am VERY cheap and make sure not to spend too much on electricity.