New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

CO2 equipment in Ottawa?

Started by Poustic, March 04, 2003, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poustic

Where can I find a CO2 cylinder of 5-10 lbs in the Ottawa or Gatineau (or even Montreal!) area?  I called a number of different places that sell gas, welding equipment, etc. but all they have is 20+ lbs that won't fit under the aquarium, and most will only rent them to you.  I am also looking for a double-gauge regulator, needle valve, tubing, etc.

Thanks!

Poustic

Marc

I don't know if anyone has them in Ottawa, but Mail Order Pet Supplies  in Ancaster Ontario sells all those things.  Shipping to Ottawa is only $6.60.

Click here to go to MOPS

Greg Turner

Have you tried beverage bottling companies or hospitals supply companies?

Btw, if you find a good source in Ottawa let me know.

ekim

Hi everyone, I got a 5 lbs CO2 tank at

Davidson Fire Extinguishers Sales & Service Ltd
Phone: (613)235-1629

144 Percy Street, Ottawa, ON K1R 6E3  

It's been awhile since I got but I think it was $60 filled!

Greg Turner

Although, marine monsters sell the entire kit (tank, regulator, needle value) for $99 USD.

http://www.marine-monsters.com

ekim

Thats alot of $ + shipping will come out to about $200.00CAD right?

You can get the tank for $60 and the regulator for $65 thats $125 and all you need is a needle valve.

Greg Turner

No way!  Those are good deals... what about the needle value?  Where's good place for that?

ekim

Most people I talk to online use Clipard valves.  They make a great needle valve, from what I hear.  It costs about $10 but I can't find a local supplier.  I'm using a $2.00 one from Homedepot, it is not very user friendly... hard to fine tune, although I have been using it for about 1 year with no problems. Never lost 1 fish!

Do you have a pressurized CO2 system?

Poustic

Hi guys,

I remember calling Davidson's a few weeks ago and they didn't have the cylinders any more, but they do refill them if you bring them in...

Any other ideas?

Greg Turner

No, I've been searching for one for awile.  Been using DIY yeast but find it alotta hassle.  Not to mention it's uncontrollable.

Greg

ekim

I looked up Fire Extinguishers & welding supplies, after about 10 phone calls I got the best price from Stevensons! I know ther was others though!

For the regulator I looked up DIY Wine & beer shops, after about 20 calls I got the best price for $65.00 "I don't remember the name off the top of my head" but there was many others!

marine

You guys missed out at the auction. There was a PH controller complete with solenoid valve. I think it went for $100.

ekim

marine,
you need all the equiptment listed above for CO2 injection!

PH controller w/ solenoid is not going to do anything unless you have a tank, regulator and needlvalve!

IMO a PH controller w/ solenoid is not needed at all, its like substrate heating cables!

marine

Your absolutely right Ekim, you don't have to have a PH controller.  It is a great option though for stabalizing your PH levels therefore keeping a stable level of disolved CO2 in your water.  At the least you should have a valve that shuts C02 injection off at night as it is not being used and you will reach your highest levels of C02. I did use a CO2 system and my supply was a Davidson tank. I also had needle valve  and solonoid valve triggered by my lights.

Poustic

I just called Davidson's again, and they do have refurbished CO2 tanks, 5 lbs at 65$ and 10 lbs at 75$.  They also have double-gauge regulators at 100$.  Oh well!

:D

ekim

Poustic,
that's good to hear!  You can get a double gauge regulator locally for under $75.

marine

I have a CO2 regulator here I'll selll for $50. It is a two stage Victor.

Poustic

Quote from: "marine"I have a CO2 regulator here I'll selll for $50. It is a two stage Victor.

I'm interested!  Just remove 'junk' and email me at

I just got a 10 lbs Davidson tank (75$ + tax, filled).  Nice little shop.  Makes me wonder who I had called the first time, but it definitely wasn't them, 'cause they had all sorts of tanks all over the place.

I still need to find:
- Needle valve (considering Home Depot solution)
- Silicone or Tygon tubing
- Check valve

and these would be nice to have some day:
- Solenoid valve
- pH meter/controller
- Reactor (currently feeding DIY CO2 through my Eheim)

Greg Turner

For a good reactor check the article I posted on the main website.

Poustic

While we're at it, I read on many CO2-related pages and threads that Tygon tubing was the best choice for CO2 because it didn't lose as much CO2 as would regular plastic or even silicon tubing.  Do any of you know where I could find Tygon or perhaps better silicon tubing in the area?  I have only tried various fish stores and Home Depot type stores so far.

marine

Try these guys. They may be able to help with 120V solonoid valves as well as leak rate. Try to go with a swagelock system of joining everything if you can.

http://www.fishersci.ca

Greg Turner

I was looking at thier PH meters... very cheap... but do they sell to end-users?