New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Build you're own aquarium?

Started by 328iGuy, February 01, 2004, 01:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

328iGuy

Have any of you built you're own aquarium out of either Acrylic (Plexiglass) or glass?

I am contemplating building something around the 200 gallon marker in the near future and if anyone else has or has pointers AND pictures of a finished product as well as in progress that would be excellent?

Thanks

artw

I have thought about it and decided that the work/expense/risk is not worth it unless you have free glass and can get it cut free.

there is plenty of info on the net about making your own tanks I'd start with a google search.

328iGuy

Yah well a lot of people have used acrylic plexi and it looks quite good, check out this one :):

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=36333

Scroll down to his pictures of his, beautiful.

valiko

I have also seen some diy projects for the aquariums made of plywood.

The technology is that everything, but the front side is made out of plywood and covered with epoxy paint.

I believe that there is some info athttp://www.garf.org/140.gallon.html.

As far as I know to buy is cheaper that to build your own.[/url]

328iGuy

Its only cheaper to buy if it is under 90 gallons or so I would say.

james

Great idea
I have a couple of large pieces of glass laying around. I would love to hear or get suggestion on such a project,;
I plan to have the tank with glass only in the front and the other side made in ply wood
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

james

Hi
Hs anyone checked locally where you can get the epocy paint for the plywood. Is it the same paint you use to paint swimming pools and indoor ponds (light blue similar to the color of the top of this web page)
33- gal PS Demansoni
.30-g  P.S Flavus

Evan

You can buy pretty good epoxy paint at Lee Valley.

Pisidan

Theres also a Marine store that carries it on Poulin and richmond down the rd frojm me..but man epoxy is expensive!!

Ron

I've built 100 and 240 gallon tanks using plywood and glass; they can turn out very nice if you are carefull and have some woodworking skills. I used Pratt and Lambert Polyguard epoxy coating. Any store that carries Pratt and Lambert products should be able to get it for you. If you decide to go ahead with one and need further help, let me know.

I've also built some acrylic tanks. In my experience they are only cost effective if you are building something larger or need an unusual shape. I've got a book that details the construction process that I can bring it to a meeting if you are interested in looking at it. It's your's for $25.00 if you want it.

Ron

Ron

I should add that I've also built a lot of all glass tanks over the years. Most of these have been built out of salvaged 1/4 plate glass, which makes very sturdy breeding tanks. I think it is only economically feasible if you have a source of cheap glass.

Getting into larger tanks requires glass over 1/4", which gets trickier to cut, and mistakes can be very expensive. Anything over 30 gallons or so I would probably just buy. Check out Roy's Pet Shop in Kingston for great prices on Miracles glass tanks.

Ron

saltydog

James,

You mention that you have a couple of large pieces of glass lying around. If you decide to build a plywood tank, maybe you still have one left? I am seeking a piece 6'x2' (or larger). I am willing to purchase this. This could defray the other construction costs of your DIY project.

Roger
742-6866
-thankful for a tankfull-

james

Hi
There is a guy who has on his web site a step by step with pic and all on building a  large tank. He was using plywood and fiberglass. I think the site is called malari homepage.  (check the spelling) I/ll try to get you the exact address

James
33- gal PS Demansoni
.30-g  P.S Flavus