New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need advice on the use UV Filters in ponds and aquarium

Started by lcoates, May 06, 2004, 09:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lcoates

Can anyone provide me with any feedback on the use of the UV Filters in aquariums and in ponds.
As far as the pond, we have been told not to use the filter, they informed us that it would kill and the good bacteria. They went to say that a pond with greenish water ( light green ) was a healthy pond. We would like the water to look clear and clean, but not at the expense of not having a pond  that's thriving.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

lcoates

Opps, just realized I put this thread on the wrong forum index, can it be moved?

Marc

Nelson

Hi there...I can't provide any feed-back/advice regardng the benefits or disadvantages of UV flters in ponds, but I've read just about everything written about their use in aquariums.  I've concluded that the positive greatly outweighs the negative.  The only real concern that was stressed repeatedly was the potential for serious harm (to the aquarist) if they're not treated with the utmost respect when handled, i.e. changing the bulb.  The other important consideration is ensuring the power head maintains the recommended water flow rate for the wattage of the bulb in use, in my case, 18 watts=100-350 GPH. Another recommendation is to place the UV filter in-line with your filtration system (on the exhaust side).  

I recently had an attack of  the dreaded Ich.  After two days of the 5 day application of Quich Cure the affected fish  were parasite free.  You should also know that the fish I was treating were Clown Loaches so I halved the recommended dosage. I believe the UV filter was largely responsible for this extremely fast recovery.

In spite of everyting I've read on the subject, I'm unable to get any direction on whether the unit requires maintenance, particularly regarding the occasional cleaning of the bulb.  I can't believe that the efficiency of the bulb, particularly the double-helix type that I have, wouldn't be affected by the inevitable build up of slime.  The instructions that came with my unit didn't help - it only refers to bulb changes. On the subject of bulbs, one article suggested that bulbs be replaced every 6 months to maintain optimum performance.  This may be worthy of consideration.  I don't know what they cost - and probably don't want to know until the time comes to replace mine!  

I can't confirm that the success I've had with my relatively disease/parasite free tank is in part because I use a UV filter....but I choose to think it is.

Hope this helps Lynn

BigDaddy

UV sterilizers in a planted tank are a big no no.

UV will oxidize the trace elements in the water column, robbing your plants of vital components.