New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY Background for Rift Lake Tank

Started by gvv, June 25, 2004, 07:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvv

For those who has Rift lake cichilds it will be interesting.
Here is a link to the sit desribing how to make "background caves". I actually made something like this (not exactly) and my fishes are very happy with such design.
http://www.duboisi.com/diy/BNdiygrotto/bndiygrotto.htm
Good luck!

Nelson

I had the pleasure today of picking up some outstanding Kribs from Vitali today and was totaly amazed at this false wall he had created for his cichlids.  You really had to see this for yourself..a variety of cichlids were in and out of these many holes in the false wall at the back of the tank. The most economical environment I've seen - this is from someone who's spent many hundreds of $$$ in petrified wood and Moponi to create what I thought would be an accepted environment.  Live and learn!! I was so impressed I stopped at Home Depot on the way home and spent a couple of hours to create a similar false wall for my 35gal.  Thanks Vitali..outstanding!

ambushman2j

That does look pretty slick indeed if anyone has made something similar here in Ottawa they should post the specs on how they did it with stores we have available here

Nelson

Quote from: "ambushman2j"That does look pretty slick indeed if anyone has made something similar here in Ottawa they should post the specs on how they did it with stores we have available here
The web site is pretty much self explanatory and the materials are available at any hardware store.  The one I put together this pm is not nearly as sophisticated but very functional.  I just bought some vinyl eave downspout (around $10 for around 10") and cut it into 24" lengths, siliconed and stacked them three high, made some compartment dividers using the same material then drilled holes of various sizes.  Voila! What I built today was just a test run to see how the fish would react.  Based on they're obvious acceptance I'm  planning to make another as a summer vacation project that will be more decorative and according to the directions provided on the web site.

luvfishies

Cool~

Check the link out in this thread :  http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2279  Didn't want to link directly, as it's a d/l PDF file. I found it fascinating.

maitre007

I think those do it yourself projects are amazing.  Hopefully they will translate to a rift tank winning the home show contest new year.  I am still bitter that a planted aquarium beat out african cichlid tanks.