New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DRAS Aquariama 2012

Started by buntbarsch, January 19, 2012, 04:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchofsky

It looks like a great sale!  I wish I could have gone, but it wasn't a good weekend for me.

So, what all did people buy?

Peekay

Quote from: touchofsky on April 16, 2012, 12:51:10 PM
It looks like a great sale!  I wish I could have gone, but it wasn't a good weekend for me.

+1!

charlie

Quote from: Fishnut on April 16, 2012, 12:50:32 PM
NOOOOO!!!!!  YOU posted my mouth full of hamburger piC!! ;D

Speaking of mouth full here are 2 examples of an OVAS mouth full & a DRAS mouth full :)

charlie

Quote from: touchofsky on April 16, 2012, 12:51:10 PM

It was a great buyers auction, regarding the plants it was a Anubias ,Java fern day sprinkled with some run of the mill stem plants a very light topping of some cool plants.
For fish @ the auction Bushy Nose & other plecos ruled with Africans as to be expected.
On the Vendors side of things, they were some great deals, it was refreshing to see the  local big al`s ( Whitby) leading the way, they had the entire back wall of the room, well staffed with about 6 guys, specials for the auction, some cool cray fish , Betta's , shrimp, plants etc etc, 12 cardinals for 18.00, 3 Sakura Deep  red cherryfor 6.00 & 3 sakura yellow shrimp for 6.00, HC on Lava rock for 5.00
Drift wood for 10.00 @ another vendor & My Fav store Aquainspiration with a display to make planted junkies feel happy all day  ;D
I was very impressed @ the effort put out by the local vendors, some of whom closed their store to support DRAS WOW
As for my acquisitions, it was a few plants that was pre ordered form another hobbyist & some impulse purchases from AI & Big Al`s
AI - 10 gallon Starfire tank, stainless steel filter grill, stainless steel scissors
Big Al`s some Sakura Yellow shrimp
Did a ton of networking.
Errol

charlie

ajm1961

Great pics!
Nice shot of the pleco, and isn't that a sweet golf shirt.
Thanks for taking the time to share the experience.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

touchofsky

It looks like it was a very well organized show, with a lot of interesting things on offer.  Thanks for the pictures, I appreciated seeing them  :)

daworldisblack

It was really well organized and great to be there! Big Al's did have pretty sweet deals on plants, livestock and even dry goods! Eheim filters were on sale for boxing week prices! And I was surprised they had some of the choices they brought! AI also had an outstanding presence with shiny toys and amazing demo set-ups! I got myself some Netlea Shrimp Soil from them! There were other vendors there too with great prices on things!

As for the auction, it was my first time and I was excited! I scurried around looking for whatever I might have been interested in. I had a list: Crystal Black Shrimp, interesting plants and N Class Endlers. NO CBS and N-Class Endlers (bags of P class ones though!) but tonnes of interesting plants and I got myself some Crypts (Affinis, Mi'Oya, Nurii var. "Copper") as well as Dwarf Hair Grass, Willow Moss and a really healthy Crinium Calamistratum!

Livestock selection wasn't too bad either - bags upon bags of Cichlids but I had my sights on some Empire Gudgeons (Saw them on a trip to MTL last week and been looking for them since!), some nice plecos (black with tiny white spots - proper L-number escapes me now) and a pair of long-finned albino bushy nose plecos. I lost the pleco bid but I was determined to get the rest so won the Gudgeons and the Long Finned Albino Plecos (sorry Ed ). I also stumbled on a bag of "12 Cherry Shrimps" and upon closer inspection, saw that there actually were tigers in there too! And they were all berried up! So I won those too. It was definitely an impulse purchase and I found when I got home that they might cross breed with my CBS so am ambivalent about them - they look awesome though and I want to keep them but we'll see what I decide to do with them (can't put 'em in my main tank and yet can't put them in my nano shrimp set up either..hmm.. new tank?  ;D)

All in all a great day and pretty exciting purchases. Some cost way more then others but all in all I'd say I got stuff worth the price and good amounts (except the Nurii - man that one was a hefty blow to my auction funds). I managed to sell everything I brought as well so that helped offset the cost a tad. Great crowd and as Errol mentioned, for the most part it was a Buyer's Auction (for more common items) but a pretty penny was required for the rarer stuff but if one were to get a rare item anywhere, it'd be the auction and it is well worth it! Hope next year will be as awesome and I hope to attend OVAS's auction next year and be just as blown away ;)
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

pm

Man, you guys are road warriors  :) .  MTL a few weeks ago and GTA this past week.  Each in one day I assume.

As for the DRAS auction, thanks for the pics, they really put it in perspective.  I really like the vendor displays (and prices).  Wish I could have gone.

bizfromqc

Looked like a lot of fun. I also wished I could go but that week-end was a scratch for me.

A lot of food for thought for the next OVAS auctions.

+1 on the golf shirts, I'm still bummed out I can't get my OVAS one  :'(

androo303

I will definitely have to hit the GTA auction up for drift wood; which sadly the OVAS auction did not have.

Looks like my 120gallon tank will be getting stocked by the auctions once it is up!!  8)

exv152

QuoteI will definitely have to hit the GTA auction up for drift wood; which sadly the OVAS auction did not have
Looks like my 120gallon tank will be getting stocked by the auctions once it is up!!  .

I was thinking the same thing, I would have spent a few bucks on some neat looking driftwood for just $10 a piece.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: exv152 on April 17, 2012, 03:33:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing, I would have spent a few bucks on some neat looking driftwood for just $10 a piece.

I believe they were Mangrove Roots and the store that was selling them was Aquatic Kingdom(http://www.aquatickingdom.ca/). You could probably check 'em out the next time you're in the GTA area maybe.

Peekay

Quote from: daworldisblack on April 16, 2012, 11:40:27 PM
I lost the pleco bid but I was determined to get the rest so won the Gudgeons and the Plecos (sorry Ed ).

How do the fishies fare being in bags for such a long day?  Do you do anything special to make it easier on them?

daworldisblack

Quote from: Peekay on April 17, 2012, 05:45:14 PM
How do the fishies fare being in bags for such a long day?  Do you do anything special to make it easier on them?

I guess it depends on how sensitive the fishes are. I know for a fact that some had died on the auction table. Bags of 5 were left with Bags of 1 or entire shrimp mini-colonies were dead in the zip-lock bags. For the killis i sold, i only tied the bag up prior to leaving in the morning. I also was told by Ed that for his plecos, they put in oxygen gas and also provided a type of foam that helps maintain ph levels in the bag.

charlie

Quote from: pm on April 17, 2012, 07:36:56 AM
Man, you guys are road warriors  :) .  MTL a few weeks ago and GTA this past week.  Each in one day I assume.

As for the DRAS auction, thanks for the pics, they really put it in perspective.  I really like the vendor displays (and prices).  Wish I could have gone.

That is nothing, i know of 2 members here who drove to New Jersey to buy some fish & return the same day :P :)

zenins

Hey everyone,

Nice to meet some of you again this past Sunday :)

Here is a link to my photos on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.342598719129853.82536.141380715918322&type=3&l=4d0c3d79d6

Double click on the first photo, then you can step through them by hovering on the right edge of the photo then click

You should not need to sign into Facebook
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

Fishnut

Quote from: Peekay on April 17, 2012, 05:45:14 PM

The best thing to do is to bring a small bottle of water conditioner with you and a couple of extra bags, just in case you need to do a water change on the bag of fish.

charlie

Quote from: zenins on April 17, 2012, 06:59:23 PM
Hey everyone,

Nice to meet some of you again this past Sunday :)

Here is a link to my photos on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.342598719129853.82536.141380715918322&type=3&l=4d0c3d79d6

Double click on the first photo, then you can step through them by hovering on the right edge of the photo then click

You should not need to sign into Facebook

Hey Zenins, was nice chatting with you, thanks for dropping by & sharing your photos.
Errol

zenins

Quote from: charlie on April 17, 2012, 08:50:06 PM
Hey Zenins, was nice chatting with you, thanks for dropping by & sharing your photos.
Errol
I should have got a photo of you guys, at least in the crowd, but I see other photos from there shared here, so it is all good
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards