New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

CFIA Regs into effect Dec 2012

Started by ajm1961, September 15, 2012, 10:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajm1961

Important note: the CFIA will be enforcing new regulations on the importation of ornamental fish starting on December 10, 2012.

So... this will be the LAST FEW MONTHS you will be able to fully take advantage of USA (and International) fish conventions and bring back some fishes over the border without the need for an importer's permit.

Something to consider everyone!

November: Ohio Cichlid Extravaganza
Others? Post here...
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

jetstream

I done some research on this topic a while ago. Because I or we not just  fishnuts. We belongs to the fish crazy group!

From what I read, the new schedule III regulation or amendment mostly apply to commercial importer. For personal use, basically most of the ornamental fishes are still fine to bring into Canada, and only few species are mentioned and affected by the schedule III. Of course they also mentioned the fish on CITIES.

I'll see I'll be able to find the link from CFIA again! Or if ajm1961 doesn't mind post the link of the Schedule III of the Health of Animals Regulations.

Following are some links for ref:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/imports/aquatic-animals/eng/1331906471842/1331908089467

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/diseases/susceptible-species/eng/1327162574928/1327162766981

Cheers

ajm1961

Here is the link from CFIA - from what I can read, it is exactly opposite of what I expected - that is, all ornamental fish except those mentioned in the list will require a declaration and import permit. Here is the link to the site and the declaration:

Regulation:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/imports/aquatic-animals/eng/1331906471842/1331908089467

Declaration form:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/DAM/DAM-animals-animaux/STAGING/text-texte/c5685_1337093551531_eng.pdf

Al

I am concerned about the new regs just like everyone else. I have read the CFIA's latest info and once you read the exhausting information on their site, it becomes more unclear. I read in CAOAC's minutes from Jan or Feb 2012 that they felt there may be some lag as to enforcement as there needed to be some rework of the new regs???
I am going to call CFIA Monday to see what I can find out because at the end of the day when you read all the regs, dowload the permits from their site, etc it is still unclear. And when you think you have the policies understood, someone at CFIA is going to tell you "Yeah but what that means is ............. because in point 186.9 it is stated that ......
Hopefully, as jetstream suggests, us one or two time importers of fish from our favourite US importers can still comply easily with the new regs by filling out a simple Permit to Import Aquatic Animals for "personal use". From my reading I don't think the concern is aquarium fish intended for personal use but I may be wrong??
They might pull a Michael Bloomberg/New York/Big Brother and tell us we can't import aquarium fish to protect us from ourselves while we are drinking our Biggies??

Al

I spoke with CFIA today - Dr Magda Guirguis - in Guelph after being referred there by the Ottawa CFIA office. Bottom line is, for us pet fish people and our occassional buying sprees, unless the fish we wish to bring in to Canada from the US are on a specific "Susceptible Species" list (which she sent me, no african cichlids for example are on this list) we do not need to worry about bringing them back - there is no new regulation for pet fish going into a personal aquarium and WE DO NOT REQUIRE PERMITS. And even if some fish that someone may want to bring back ARE on the list, they may be exempted, for example, if someone is going to keep them in an aquarium and a few other subtleties. She did suggest that the most prudent method would be that when one comes back with fish, if possible have the exporters (dealer) name and address, your name and address, the taxonomic name of the fish/lifestage/number i.e cyprichromis nigripinnis, fry, 24 pieces and finally, where the fish was born. She stated that even wild caught, and I asked specifically about African cichlids, would be no more problematic bringing in to Canada than F1 bred in the US from wild caughts. If anyone at the club would like a cc on the correspondence from Dr Guirguis, please send me a pm.
We can all put the valium away, for now.
Don't worry - be happy.
Al

ajm1961

Thanks for doing some legwork on this Al. The regulations as written are not very obvious in their intent, scope, or implementation!
So, perhaps we can now go to Ohio or other conventions in the future without worrying about the hassles. Of course, border guards can be a pain, as they may not understand the regs either! Let's hope they leave us alone!

daworldisblack

Quote from: Al on September 18, 2012, 12:11:04 PM
if possible have the exporters (dealer) name and address, your name and address, the taxonomic name of the fish/lifestage/number i.e cyprichromis nigripinnis, fry, 24 pieces and finally, where the fish was born.

Cool! Although I hope its not going to be a problem with the Exporter/dealer part if its a fellow aquarist who is selling fry for example.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Al

Well I certainly feel relieved now that I have a better handle on the situation - I was somewhat concerned as I usually end up purchasing fish out of the US because what I am looking for is often not available locally. As mentionned above, as small concern is that the border guys may not be all that familiar with the regs and that could be a potential issue. I mentionned this to CFIA and asked if it would be better to call the border crossing location first (i.e from home before you leave on a trip or to pick up wherever) and speak to a specific person or a supervisor and make sure they are on top of the regs and that the person would be on duty at the time you expect to return. Her response was NO - not necessary but it might not be a bad idea if you can get the logistics executed.

jetstream

What I do is use a print out from the AIRS and show the paper to the border agent if they're in doubt. The agent use the same system to deal/check with you. They will be very happy if you done the leg work for them. To help you start, input 03 01..... and you should be able to get going.

The following is the link of AIRS:

http://inspection.gc.ca/plants/imports/airs/eng/1300127512994/1300127627409#

Happy fish keeping!

Cheers!