New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquarium thermometers

Started by Mark, January 19, 2021, 09:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Hello,
I have been trying to find an accurate thermometer and was wondering what any of you have been using?
Currently when doing water changes I have been using a Fischer scientific brand dial thermometer that I may have borrowed from the lab I worked in 30 years ago to measure the temp. for the python water changer. Because of its age I thought it a good idea to get another but amazon has been a bust, bought a folding meat thermometer which will be great for the BBQ but useless in the lower range I need (0-100 C).
Sorry to ramble, suggestions much appreciated. :)
Well and truly hooked.

Muad'Dib

Hi Mark,
I'm using 2 of these.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N80F1D1/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_fabt1_UKcSFbXP3WSRQ?

Zacro LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer Fish Tank Water Terrarium Temperature
Easy to apply suction cup and easy to read LCD screen. Temperature readings to within 1 degree.
Large, easy to read LCD display. Compact design for discrete use.
Temperature range -50 degree ~ + 70 degree,Operating temperature -10degree ~ +50 degree
Powered by one LR44 button cell (included)

According to it's specs it supposed to be accurate to within 1 degree. I put them both in the same tank to test and their readings matched, so they are consistent, and relatively cheap at $16 but Amazon does have other models branded differently that are cheaper.

I wouldn't use them for temp sensitive experiments, but for my fish tank they work.

Good luck
Cheers
Dean

50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
4 - Labidochromis caeruleus - Electric Yellow Labs
5  - Cynotilapia Afra White Top "Hara Reef"
4 - Aulonocara sp. "OB " - Orange Blotch Peacock Cichlid
3 - Protomelas taeniolatus (Likoma Is.) Tangerine Tiger Cichlid
3 - Otopharynx Lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) - Aristo Yellow Blaze Cichlid
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

lucius

I also use the Zacro type thermometers in my tanks and this meat thermometer just for backup purposes.

https://www.amazon.ca/Homasy-Waterproof-Thermometer-Digital-Backlight/dp/B0894KQJG2

limmer

I used to have a good scientific one that I liked, but I dropped and broke it.
Since then I have tried all sorts and they all seem inaccurate by some degrees. Probably some brands are more accurate then some.
I even used the cheap meat one.
I am now using a temperature gun which I cross checked it with someone else and it seems very close.
I like the response time.
I bought it from Walmart online for about $20.  Canadian Tire usually has one on sale sometimes.
You should do a read on it to see if that is what you want.
Don't buy the one used for taking human temperatures.
Not sure you can use it on running water.
i guess anything would work as long as you know how much it is off.

Mark

Thanks for the suggestions the zacro looks like it is worth a try, but Limmers idea of the temp gun sounds cool too. Need to read up and check their accuracy really want to see temp to 0.5 c. The temp gun may have other uses around the house as well. I bought the exact same meat thermometer which is 2 degrees different than my old stand by which agrees with all my stick-on strip thermometers. I have insted been using it for its intended purpose on meats.
Thanks again and stay safe.
Well and truly hooked.

exv152

I second the infrared thermometer gun. You can get them super cheap online and I found many other uses for it around the house. Such as checking the oil temperature for deep frying, air leaks around doorways, cold spots in the basement to improve insulation, etc.I find it's a great multi use tool to have.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Mike L

I used to be obsessed with water temp when doing changes. About 7 or 8 years ago a former member bitterman I believe mentioned that when he wanted to stimulate breeding he would do a water change with water several degrees cooler then the tank water. It works. Which is all to say that it's not that critical what your new water is as long as its close.
Since I cleaned filters in tank water I filled the bucket brought it to the tap,turned on the water and adjusted it until my hand going from the bucket to the water stream felt equal. Also assuming your changing 50% and your temp in the tank is say 78 and you drop in water thats a couple of degrees one way or the other your really not changing anything.