New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

48 Gallon Seapora Crystal tank from Big Al`s

Started by charlie, March 06, 2018, 02:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Recently Big Al`s aquarium started carrying the popular low iron frame less tanks, i was impressed with the price point and quality so i snagged one on sale at 239.99 reg: 279.99.( Sale is current and ends on the 18 th)
https://flyers.smartcanucks.ca/canada/big-als-london-weekly-specials-march-2-to-18/single/3
I will attempt to keep this thread updated as time permits on the build and progress of this tank.
DIY Stand with DIY light hanging rail.
36X18X18 low iron tank ( Seapora Crystal line)
Background : Black Vinyl
Temporary lighting : 1X Kessil AW 160 Tuna Sun and 1X Aqua Ray Grobeam 1500 Ultima natural daylight , my intent is to use a pair of the Kessils eventually or if i can find a deal on a Grobeam 1500 that may also be an option.
Filtration : Eheim Pro 2 2026
Heating : Hydor ETH 200 external inline heater
CO2: DIY 2 stage regulator
CO2 Diffusion: DIY Rex Grigg style reactor
Everything will be tied in and controlled by the Reefkeeper Lite controller
Hardscape: Redmoor wood and Dragon stone/Okho stone
Substrate :some used ADA and Netlea soil

Kalemh

Awesome I was eyeing these tanks. Cant wait to see it planted and all the progress.

charlie

Me too ;)
For now I will be using clippings from what I have, and switching out as the tank mature and my wish list becomes available.

exv152

These are definitely nice tanks. Decent silicone lines and nicely beveled glass edges. Looking forward to the progress on this one Errol.
:)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Haha, so you bought one in the end eh?! I was in last weekend to get the small one for myself as a birthday gift and saw they were on sale! I got both the 7" and 10" cubes. Outta control! i should post the 7" setup that I have at work. We're outta control!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

@ Exv , @ daworldisblack
Yes they are nice tanks, the prices are very competitive and more so no shipping as it`s local.
The popular 17 gallon aka 60P is regular 99.00 other retailers are 139.99 + shipping
Yes Rah the sale did me in  ;)
On another note got the co2 , filtration etc hooked up

charlie

Over the last weeks things have progressed to the point where the tank is now planted and cycling, as mentioned some plants will be switched out in time and permanent lighting is still to be determined.
Plants presently in tank are as follows- Elatine hydropiper,Helanthium 'Vesuvius' ,Rotala 'Bonsai',Rotala 'Vietnam H'ra',Rotala rotundifolia,Gratiola viscidula ,Staurogyne repens , Trident fern ( thanks Kalem), Anubias Nana, Bucephalandra brown?,Bucephalandra argonant blue ( thanks Greg).

exv152

Looks good Errol. What kind of fish are you considering?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on April 01, 2018, 09:19:54 AM
Looks good Errol. What kind of fish are you considering?
Sorry for the late reply.
I`m still not sure what i`ll finally settle on, one thought was to make this my shrimp tank, still floating the idea.
For now there is a trio of Apistogramma Cacs. and 2 SAE in it.
I had a huge algae issue after my DC power supply for the co2 solenoid failed and going unnoticed for a bit, thankfully the algae is now at bay and i switched out the Rotala rotundifolia for some  Myriophyllum 'Guyana'
A quick cell pix

barefoot_golfer

charlie

This tank along with others suffered from neglect and resulting poor growth, algae including a round of green water.
After some TLC in the past weeks it is responding well, just a bit more healthy growth, especially the Staurgyne repens.
Thanks for looking and some input is welcomed

Jeff1192

Love the layout. That stone is my favourite to use and I have it in my shrimp tank. I also really like the completely open area to the left contrasting the thickly planted right said. Looks amazing.
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

matttimms49

This is looking super slick  :) really love the driftwood coming out from the plants. Are you thinking of adding any new plants to the set up? I see you changed the planted area to the back left I quite liked it, was it vasusvius?

charlie

Thanks Matt,
I did have Helanthium 'Vesuvius' before  but switched it out for Bylxa Japonica ( compliments of Wolfiewill)
Regards

charlie

Quote from: Jeff1192 on October 28, 2018, 09:10:16 AM
Love the layout. That stone is my favourite to use and I have it in my shrimp tank. I also really like the completely open area to the left contrasting the thickly planted right said. Looks amazing.
Thanks Jeff

tanksalot360

I can really appreciate your use of plants to create the foreground/background transition. So common you see the scape fade to one the left or right into the carpet plant, the blyxa softens the background and helps balance things in this respect.
How much bucephalandra did you start with? Have you added to it? It shows up in pictures quite dark, kinda cool how it lifts the right up. Holy crap there's a lot!

charlie

Thanks Liam.
I played around with plant choice,hence the bylxa switch.
I'm currently thinkers of switching the  Sturygyne with pogo helferi.
The Byce grew really well, I didn't add any after the initial set up.