New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Thank you, Errol

Started by Sherrill, October 29, 2019, 05:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherrill

Errol!

Thanks to your talk last night at the OVAS meeting, I suddenly know why my little 6.5 gallon hospital/quarantine tank went bananas with ammonia a couple of weeks ago. I had gotten bored with seeing a bare-bottomed tank so tossed in an inch and a bit of Fluval Plant and Shrimp substrate (I use this in my other tanks (2)). And some plants. And some rocks. Oh, and a stray shrimp that came in with some Ember Tetras I bought at Critter Jungle two weeks ago. I have Red Ramshorn snails in there, too, because I have too many now in my other tanks. My three Nerites were escaping daily so I knew something was wrong even before I did the tests.

Lesson learned! No fish in it, just superfluous snails, so nobody died, but scary to see those numbers coming up in the old test tubes. Yikes. But a great feeling of relief knowing why and am promising myself, never again. Thank you, thank you for this information, Errol! Also, my 20-gallon practice tank went a wee tad down in the pH's with a slight rise in ammonia, too, just this week. Why? I poured some Fluval Plant and Shrimp into a back corner so I could plant some cuttings from my main 65-gallon. And thanks to you, I know why.

Everybody is fine. Nobody's dead. Whew.
Sherrill Wark
Writer of Weird Sh*t