New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fox face dying....

Started by White Lightning, April 27, 2009, 07:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Lightning

Well I am at a loss for what to do. I came home from work today and noticed my fox face curled up to a liece of live rock. I coaxed him out from behind the rock to have a look at him. He is swimming quite oddly. ie sideways. Clearly he is out of sorts and likely dying. I immediately tested my water parameters. once at home and once at the LFS. All parametres tested "normal" and within the desired range. My corals, inverts and other fish are fine. I have two clowns, pyjama cardinal, two damsels and a lawnmower blenny in a 65 gallon. There does not appear to be any other signs of illness except the fact that he is stuck to a powerhead. Should I just cut my losses and put the poor guy out of his misery or wait to se if he pulls through? I recently changed foods and did a water change on Saturday. This may attribute to his illness as he did not seem to like the new pellets. I've turned off my lights to try and minimize his stress but I don't think he's gonna make it. :'(

RossW

From what I recall, Fox Faces are hit and miss for long term survival in our glass boxes.  Probably nothing you did, just the way the cookie crumbles.

Tsukiyomi-sakura

How big is he, How long have you had him, what LFS did you buy him from?

I have had a foxy for about a year now and he thrives, Maybe We could try putting a large breeding trap in my tank and moving him?

I found out that, The way you have your rock work, Can really stress a fox out, They need plenty of space to swim but still need many hiding places. also If you move your rock to much they take a hissy fit and hide or thrash for a few days.

( my fox face has scratches on him but that is because he is clumsy and swims into rocks, but other then that he is a pig and is doing really well)

RossW

Did your fox face make it?