New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

World's Rarest Clownfish

Started by ray, July 01, 2009, 05:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray

Hi all an acquaintance of mine just sent me a link to his site showing the latest addition to his clownfish collection.The price is definitely not for the faint of heart.Enjoy

Ray

http://www.reefaquatica.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=478

Tyler.L

they're cheaper then what liveaquaria had them going for.....they also sat on divers den for like 5 months and they were 5999.99 so pretty damn good for canadian dollars at 5499 but i dont know who would seriously buy them unless they're a super collector. I know they're captive bred for sure and are 99% from australia.....am i correct?

Vincenzo.

i wish i had 10k laying around. Id put a downpayment on a house

knowles101

Man I have a tank full of those damn things. LOL.

mikerobart

If there was actually a market for these, a breeding pair and a simple clownfish breeding arrangement and you'd be looking at a pretty easy job  8). Can't see how a price like that could be sustainable though, how many wealthy clownfish collectors are there in the world?

Tyler.L

the only reason they're that expensive is
A) they were illegally caught from sea of oman
B) was a researcher that collected them for "research" purposes.

now there was a thread on reefcentral about these months back. They were captive bred, from australia. I will try searching rc/google to find the pic of all the juvis they had in a tank was unreal there were about 50+ of them

found it
http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/mrblue.jpg

but yeah over priced and who ever does buy them can turn around and start breeding them and hopefully get money out of it also....just like the aussie acan craze

as for the live aquaria ones i just found out that they started to breed for them so they're gonna be more available i think down the road and price will drop drastically

that is all for now

gvv

Most of these fish are just selectively bred, like ... goldfish
Interesting but I would not go for it...

Regards

Hookup

Order me two... if you take personal cheques that is...  LOL

These are not even that good looking IMO... and with so few out there how easy/hard are they to keep etc... though if you can afford those, you likely do not care if you find one or two carpet surfing...

i put these in the same boat as many fish, including the jem tang... re-damn-xxxx-u-lous..

Sharbuckle

i think ill stick with my 40 dollar pair of tomato clowns.... geez louise thats expensive

sniggir

those are very nice lookin tho accept for the price.... no as for the gem tang i would spend the cash if it was in the city...man those are so sick...wanted one even before I new thew they were rare
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

reefdava16

Quote from: Tyler.L on July 02, 2009, 04:13:41 PM
the only reason they're that expensive is
A) they were illegally caught from sea of oman
B) was a researcher that collected them for "research" purposes.

These clowns on the market were never illegally caught. These clowns are expensive because the guy who collected them was smart on how he released this protected species. They had a permit to collect 10 pairs only a few years ago. They are bred regularly but the North American market never seems them because majority of people are not willing to fork out that much cash for fish. They all go to asia (just like many exotic deepwater and rare fish), where they are sold with a hefty price tag. The ones we are seeing on L.A. and on this site Ray posted here are very reasonably priced considering the circumstances surrounding this fish. If people think gem tangs are rare, that is nothing compared to these guys.

These are not the rarest fish on the market but are up there if not the rarest clownfish!
Kevin @ L.A. is also trying to breed them aswell, so we should see a price decrease within the next few years for these guys.

Hookup

Quote from: sniggir on July 02, 2009, 11:27:09 PM
those are very nice lookin tho accept for the price.... no as for the gem tang i would spend the cash if it was in the city...man those are so sick...wanted one even before I new thew they were rare

Was pretty sure one of the sponsers had some in a while back (Az I think)... or maybe it was just a pre-order on them...   But I still say yer knuts... haha

Blue/Green Chromis = $5 each!  now that's a nice fish....