New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

lighting

Started by 10gnano, July 22, 2009, 05:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gnano

Hi guys
I have a few lighting questions

I recently aquired a viper 70w mh for my 14g nano, I had 50/50 lighting before. I was not having any luck growing my corals, or coraline algea. now that i have the mh light i have noticed my coraline algea growing pinks/greens. the green is on my glass and it is tough to scrap off. what spectrum gives what benifits. 10k vs 14k vs 20k

Tyler.L

10K would be growth and lack of coloration...14K would be more coloration with a little bit less of growth....and 20K would be the least growth and maximum coloration...but for a tank that small coloration is everything!

tskinner

+1 from tyler......I run a Coralvue 20K on my 5.5 since I'm not really looking for super growth.  I'd prefer slower growth with nicer colors.

Hookup

+1 above, but with the following...

I'm not 100% sure it's right.  ??? ??? Thought it is what I've read and been shown/taught. :-\

Sarcasm ON: Now we venture into Tim's mystical fantasy world where he is both a biochemist and a physicists with decades of field research to backup this theory and not just some guy who read some stuff on-line from some other guys who talked like they knew what they were saying and vaguely remembers his grade 9 biology & physics class.:Sarcasm Off

Color and bulbs:
I believe that the above "rule" works well for the blue/purple colored corals, but the yellow/red/pink corals prefer a 10k light... Not that this helps, but personally, I'm questioning the old rule of 10k = max growth  and 20k = max color... I think it's more along the lines of blue-tinted lights bring out the blue spectrum and yellow tinted lights bring out the red/yellow spectrum and that's as complicated as it should be, period. In fact, I'm 99% positive, but need a biochemist who studied photosynthesis so I can bounce some theory off of them.

Growth and bulbs
As for growth on one end vs the other, there is a tone of debate on RC about shorter lighting periods during the day and a direct correlation to better growth.  I personally have a theory, based upon what I know of photosynthesis, (not much), that the 10k bulbs were putting out less "premium" light for the corals, therefore over the same photo-period, the corals were getting the "right amount/volume" of light for photosynthesis... where in the 20k range, over the same photo period (typical is 12hrs) there was too much "premium light" and the electrons that get consumed during photo-periods were being drawn down on to an ultra-low state, thus the coral had to spend energy recharging the photosynthesis's system and not gowning...

My working theory
My current belief is that if you run 20k lights, you'll want to run a 6-8hr photo period (6 seems to be ideal based upon feedback from reefers).  If you run 10k lights you'll want to run an 8-10hr photo period.  Again, watt's makes a difference, as does coral placement (depth) and there are dozens of factors that affect color and growth which can play interference in any real control test... so this is just a theory... but i'm very confident that my basic understanding of photosynthesis and the physicis of lights and spectrum are solid enuf... I mean, i read half of an article online so I'm an expert now right?

The million dollar question:  "What does it all mean Bazil?" - Austin Danger Powers

So all that being completely boring and off-topic...  ;D ;D  Go with 14k bulb and an 8hr photo-period.  In 12months maybe try to switch to something else, look for a used bulb with a month or two of life on it left (they're in the classified ad's all the time) and see if you notice a difference... but as a starting point, i would recommend the 14k phoenix bulbs to any and everyone... they are the king of the MH's at this point for color and growth...

Tyler.L

i started typing bu ti just woke up and to tired to really think and the stuff i was writting didnt make sense so i will be back after once my brain kicks in to gear but i do somewhat agree with sarcastic tim lol