New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

weed or treasure?

Started by 10gnano, September 16, 2009, 07:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gnano

not sure what this is but it was a tag along from rays
I have noticed others growing in my tank now as well, it has trippled in size in 1-month and does not shrink at night like a polyp does, its about 1 inch tall

[attachment deleted by admin]

Malyon18

not an expert but I am pretty sure it is Aiptasia but I may be wrong. It is not a treasure, if you search the forum you will find several ways to get rid of it if it is what I think it is.
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

bongo

I second the above opinion, it looks like an Aiptasia

ray

Hi Definitely appears to be an aiptasia.Sorry about that.Next time you are by please remind me and I'll give you a free peppermint shrimp or frag for the inconvenience.
There is many methods to rid tank of them

Ray

10gnano

its not like you knew it was there, im not upset about it. but i might be in ottawa again this weekend

Vincenzo.

lol, i'll take some free stuff to ray. but seriously he is a good fair guy. although getting hitchhikers of any sort can be dealt with before the piece/fish even goes in your tank. so you cant blame the seller. if i where to get a free piece from all the hitchhikers ive gotten over the last year or so, id have the nicest tank around :)

there are dip's for corals. fw will do it even. once or twice for about 3-5seconds and a quick shake in the water (ro/do that is) and it'll kill pesticides, flatworms, crabs, your name it..and you can always set up a qt for your fish.

bluepointer

whoa....free peppermint shrimp for getting an aiptasia on a coral/rock...you don't see that kind of offer all that often. I wish I got one of those when I got a pest anemone ;)

Julie

Aiptasia - inject it with boiling water

Snider82

i had a wee bit of that growing on a rock i think,,,  untill my decorator crab hacked it out and glued it to himself... it hasn't spread through my tank so he can have it lol.

Jean L

The one I had was a touch smaller that a 0.25c pcs.
I tried the -fresh lemon juice- method last week, and it seemed to have worked well.
I used a syringe with a med point and nuked twice.

I used Joe's juice before and it always came back.
Will wait a couple of weeks and see if it will come back this time....

J