New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

candycane coral help

Started by 10gnano, December 20, 2009, 07:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gnano

Hey guys
I have noticed lately that my candy cane coral have been retracting. The green part has been getting smaller and smaller as the days go on. I can actually see what I think is the skeleton protruding through the green fleshy parts. notheing else is reacting in my tank. any suggestions. I have 6 heads and they are all doing it

Vincenzo.

they might be dying. have they recently been moved?

10gnano

no infact they are pretty well established, this sucks

Vincenzo.

param's?...

RoxyDog

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Hookup

They are a very hearty coral and this should be a cause for concern.

As above, Param's are your most likely suspect.

Flow and Lighting are also a factor that can cause this type of reaction, however because it hasn't moved, it's unlikely that these are the issues.

Do you skim?

What is your;
pH
Salinity
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ca
Alk
Mg
Phosphate

A full range of tests would be helpful.

beertech

It could also be chemical warfare between other types of LPS corals. Do you have Frogspawn or Torch corals? I recently lost my Candy cane colony after adding a Torch to my tank. The torch apparently lost out to the Frogspawn, and the resulting toxic soup killed off my Candy cane and Hydnophora. I suggest water changes and adding or changing Carbon.

10gnano

i just changed my carbon, i will do a good couple of changes over the next bit

White Lightning

I had the same problem with my candy cane. All params were fine and all other corals were not affected. I was so confused as to why only my candy cane was dying. Until this day, I was confused. Then after reading this, I figure it was probably due to the addition of the torch. Damm chemical warfare! >:(

Vincenzo.

RoxyDog

Quote from: White Lightning on December 21, 2009, 07:01:45 PM
I had the same problem with my candy cane. All params were fine and all other corals were not affected. I was so confused as to why only my candy cane was dying. Until this day, I was confused. Then after reading this, I figure it was probably due to the addition of the torch. Damm chemical warfare! >:(

See I was waiting to see if he used tap water as you and I do.  I had extremly happy and healthy candycanes living with two kinds of torch corals in a 40gal tank with no problems.  At some points they were even right beside each other.  Now that I use tap water, some kinds of candycanes have withered away while others thrive.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Hookup

Well, I have both a torch (5" away) and hammer coral in my 90g.. no issues.. all happy, all growing...

beertech

Yeah, I think everything will normally be fine until one of the more agressive LPS corals gets stressed or aggravated somehow. Then the battle begins. I think in my case the Torch was weak already, then added to a tank with existing LPS. As it was on it's way out it was releasing toxins into the water.  Also, I missed what size tank 10Gnano has , is it actually a 10 Gal, or have you upsized?  Small water volume plus agressive corals equals a very delicate situation.  Interesting note though, I also use tap water ( I'm in Kanata), have for 8 yrs now, always had mixed reef with multiple LPS, and no issues until adding this one Torch in particular. 
But, hopefully this was a one time issue, and things will be better after water changes and carbon.

10gnano

i have a 15 gallon nano, i hope thats all it was was the frog geting pissed, I use RO water as well