New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

flow rate

Started by 10gnano, March 22, 2010, 10:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10gnano

Hey guys, I am about to set up my new tank. 36 gallon with a sump. what amount of flow should I have in return to the tank from the sump? GPH?

Hookup

LOL.  There is another thread on Closed Loop/Open Loop systems where we are getting into this topic.

There really are successful systems with both low and high flow sumps.  I guess it's a personal preference, but I have a hard time understanding the value of a high-flow sump.  I've discussed this in detail with several "experts" on RC and never been convinced of the value of high-flow systems, despite people's success.

check out this thread for more info.

10gnano

10gnano

what pump do you guys use in your sumps. i am looking for as quiet as possible

NjOyRiD

mag 9.5 for my 320g set up, turned at 80% flow
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Severum

IME mags are not the most quiet pumps out there.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

mikerobart

Tunze Silence supposed to be incredibly quite. The 1073.020 would be more than enough for your application. Adjustable output on the pump itself is pretty cool too. Might use one on next build.

Right now have a Quiet One 4400 HH and it's quiet enough for me. Tanks in bedroom 90g + 33 sump and the skimmer and overflow are much louder than the return pump.