New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Medym's Pico Build

Started by Medym, September 23, 2011, 09:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medym

salvini55

Good thing Lowes is right down the street eh

Medym

A6tiger

hey can you post pics of the modded aquaclear i am thinking of doing the same but can decide on the design to use

Medym

Quote from: A6tiger on September 23, 2011, 11:41:11 PM
hey can you post pics of the modded aquaclear i am thinking of doing the same but can decide on the design to use

I did the exact build as listed on nano-reefs here:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180570&st=40&p=2004830&#entry2004830

The pictures there are a lot better than what I can take.  I have some chaeto, now all ready to go too.  Hopefully it will fill up most of the refuge area I have set aside for it.  I will be using the spare compartment to hold the heater.

Tomorrow or Tuesday I am going to try to pickup some glass for the tank.   It will be 12x10x8 (4 gals).

For lighting I am looking at two options the PAR38 LED light from RapidLED or a DIY fixture with 4x blue 2x cool white 3W LEDs.  Any suggestions or comments on the lighting would be most welcome as I am diving into unknown waters with this.

salvini55

I dont have experience with them but I think the Par38 is a great bulb from what Ive seen. It should be the perfect option for you.

Medym

Rybren

I believe that GerryO has been using the PAR38 bulbs on one of his builds.  Maybe he'll chime in with his experience.

I built a 3x3W 6500k white and 3x3W Royal blue fixture for my pico. I find that it's a tad too white and the 6500K wash out the RB, leaving no Pop in the colours.
120G Reef

Medym

gerryo

I use the PAR bulb on my Pico as a supplement, at the present time.  This one has 5 bulbs at 3 watts each.  Supplementing the T5HO.

When Rapid have the new bulbs in stock I will be ordering the new par bulb which has 4 RB and 3 white.  I will use this along with the 5 bulb and replace the T5HO. 

This Pico will then have 5 white and 7 blue at 3 watts each, and this should be quite sufficient for this little 5.5g.

I don't understand the need for dimmers on such a tiny tank.  To me, just getting enough simple light into here is my goal.  I will be leaving the lenses in both of these units as the spread is too much for a little tank.

Rybren

I used cheapie knock-off LEDs (5 for $8 incl shipping) and Deal Extreme drivers.  The heatsink and fan were fom an old PC that I had in the basement.  Total cost was about $30.

I had bought the parts to play around with, but it looked so good that I just had to use it on my pico (I had been using a blue 13W CFL bulb)
120G Reef

Medym

Medym

Rybren

Be sure to check the Forward voltage and current requirements on the white and Royal Blue LEDs.  They are likely different and may cause issues if running on the same driver.
120G Reef

JetJumper

depends if they are XP-G or XP-E or etc....
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Medym

JetJumper

you will be fine with that setup.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Medym

Medym

Exciting mail this week; OVAS Membership and my LEDs!  I also got a heatsink tossed in (6x6)!  I will have to play around with how it may work with this size and how I can spread it for my tank.  Glass is also going to be in tonight.  Going to be a busy weekend!  Pics to follow.

Medym

brotherluv

Look forward to seeing the finished results.  Looking good so far!

Medym

mmaisonneuve

For your LED's have you ever consider Modularled.ca they are in Alberta. Got a great service from them
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

Medym

Medym

daworldisblack

Looks real nice! Envious  ;D
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

HappyGuppy

What kind of fish are you planning?

HomerJ

Quote from: Medym on October 21, 2011, 08:37:07 PM
... I want to have a little swimmer, I may not have the space now with all this rock....

I assume you meant sKimmer?

Very cool build, I'm thinking of something like that for my office.

How are you planning to mount your led fixture on the tank?

Medym

Medym

Medym

Medym

Severum

That looking really good. Nice DIY!
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

daworldisblack

WOW! Real nice.. Something to work towards in the future! As for your 'Aftermath' pic, we could probably play a'I-Spy' game haha.. I spy a turkey baster from the dollar store? :p Any clues as to what fish you are going to have in there yet?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Medym

salvini55

yasha haze goby and pistol shrimp  :) I like the frogspawn idea but I think GSP might overwhelm that tank fast. The temp you are at is fine but if you are worried about overheating maybe lowering it a little is a godd idea. I would get one or two nassarious snails and maybe a trio of trochus and a few hermits maybe a big one like the left handed hermit.

The LED turned out nice

Medym

mmaisonneuve

For your Zoa's check with Nojoyrd. Last time I saw him he had some.
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

NjOyRiD

Quote from: mmaisonneuve on November 04, 2011, 08:07:30 PM
For your Zoa's check with Nojoyrd. Last time I saw him he had some.

who's nojoyrd?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Medym

salvini55

Quote from: Medym on November 08, 2011, 10:24:32 AM
my larger 56 gal build which I am going to "downsize."  It will be a DIY'd 40 gal with a 20 gal sump to it.

you need to put a 1 in front of that 40  :) jk

Medym

salvini55

and i'd be waiting by the curb come thursday to collect.   ;D

Medym

Medym

Cheebs

Lookin good! I must say I'm slightly worried about the GSP taking over :O

Medym

salvini55

Quote from: Medym on November 23, 2011, 11:00:58 AM
One reason I put it on this rock is that it is so easy to remove should when I need to combat its spread. 

Fixed that for ya  ;)

Medym

salvini55

sure, it looks empty   ;D jk keep that plague away!

Medym

Medym

Medym

Medym

jshchrtn

That goby is awesome! Seems to be happy in there lol

Hookup

Very nice. Is it a yasha haze?

Medym

Hookup

I really do love that fish...  Need to get me some of those.

Medym

delslo

Need tops with gobies they are jumpers

Medym

delslo

Quote from: Medym on January 10, 2012, 11:17:20 PM
Aye, There is a lid on it, but there is a gap along one side of a couple inches. He must have found it :(

I will have to recut a new one to sure it is all covered now.

I'm sorry to hear you lost a smart fish he was nice looking

salvini55

jshchrtn

Sorry about the fish loss that must of been disappointing!

Medym

Medym

Medym