New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Rimless

Started by NanoSF, December 30, 2011, 03:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSF

I should have taken pictures along the way, but here is the tank set up without the rock and corals arranged. I had a major disaster making this move so 80% of the corals and fish from the old tank are dead. I lost a heater and only had one in the tank since I still had stuff in the old tank and that needed the other heater. Overnight and all the next day while at work (before I noticed) the house was cold and the temps dropped very low. Once things started to die they polluted the tank, and more things died. I did all I could do to save what I saved.

With this rimless I was going for a sleek and tidy as possible. I have and Aqua Illumintions light mounted on two custom made brackets to hang it over the tank but also angle it back to prevent glare in our eyes. It also seems to be a more logical angle to shine a light considering rock scape generally angles up to the back of the tank. I will have no wires coming out of the tank. I have two Vortech MP20s, and a split 3/4" Loc-line from the Mag 7 return pump. The sump is 46 gallon and the tank is 32 gallon. Part of the 46 gallon is sectioned off for freshwater to feed the auto top off.

I am happy with the results, but frustrated with the loss of corals and fish.

NjOyRiD

thats a sexy tank!!!
good job Sean!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

JetJumper

neat!  Like the concept for sure.

I don't think your snails are too happy though, they are all in the upper corner :|  Hows the Ammonia / Nitrates
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

NanoSF

Everything is fine. I just got the snails.

trodrigues

really like the look of the rimless this tank looks sweet

NanoSF

Ya with my old tank I filled it with corals, and did the best rockscape I could do. Then there was nothing left to do to make it look better. So I figured I needed a nicer tank and stand. BTW thanks Phil, sexy is what I am going for here =) haha.

jshchrtn

Sorry about losing all of your stuff but your new rimless is pretty sick!

Hookup

sorry to hear about your heater issue...

nice looking new setup though... rimless are so very attractive.

salvini55

A pain I know all too well. Looks good, nothing left to do but move forward!

NanoSF

Thanks all.

I have a small issue cropping up. It seems my compact and fairly tightly sealed compartment for my sump is getting too moist. I figured that might be an issue, but what should I do about it. I want to keep it sealed because I hate noise and that stand I made mutes it pretty well. I have all my electronics in there too so keeping the moisture down is a must. I have temporarily removed one panel in the stand to open it up to the air. So any permanent ideas?

So far my only idea is running an air pump and sending the air to the outside of the stand. I don't think that will work though. Not enough air flow I am guessing.

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Malyon18

Hey Sean what if you were to install two small fans one blowing in and one blowing out
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

NanoSF

Ya I did think of the fan thing. I guess I worry that not only will that allow sound out (maybe even amplify it) it will also add fan noise. I don't think I have a choice though. I have to do something. Maybe I will run the fan/fans deeper inside the stand and run a tube to the fan so I don't hear them as much.

rgauvin

dats a purdy tank, may I ask which tank it is, and where you bought it?

NanoSF

It's a Hagen and I actually bought it where I get my dogs food, Critter Jungle. I just happened to see it on display. They sell them in a package, but they can order you just the tank. It was $130 or so for this 31-32 gallon. I think the box said Waterhome on it, but they are connected to Hagen in some way. I didn't quite understand it, but the people at the store called it a Hagen tank. I would have to say, it is not the best construction, but for that price I wouldn't expect it to be. Some of the silicone is a bit sloppy, but overall very unnoticeable. You can pay a lot more and get a miracles (I think they are called) from Toronto, but these Hagens seem to do the trick.

Thanks for the comment

xenon

What model is your AI light fixture?

I am looking at getting the AI Nano myself. The only local dealer is Marinescape but I am sure its cheaper to order online.

NanoSF

It's the Sol Blue. I'm not sure what Marinescapes price is, but you don't need to order online to get a good local price. The price of the AI Sol came down quite a bit after the Radion came out. Check with Marinescape to see what the new price is, but there are others in Ottawa that sell the AI. Buying locally is safer, has the backing of actual people at the LFS that will help you out, and supports the community. Maybe you can save $20-$30, but you lose out on all that.

JetJumper

Quote from: xenon on January 06, 2012, 08:10:47 PM
What model is your AI light fixture?

I am looking at getting the AI Nano myself. The only local dealer is Marinescape but I am sure its cheaper to order online.

Ray sells a lot of AI fixtures, check his thread on here for pricing.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Malyon18

+1 for Ray, that is where I bought my 2 units, had them for almost a year now and I am very pleased with them
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

delslo

Quote from: NanoSF on December 31, 2011, 10:11:21 PM
Ya I did think of the fan thing. I guess I worry that not only will that allow sound out (maybe even amplify it) it will also add fan noise. I don't think I have a choice though. I have to do something. Maybe I will run the fan/fans deeper inside the stand and run a tube to the fan so I don't hear them as much.

I picked up two 80mm fans from Canada Computers and a variable voltage 300mA power supply from the Source and wired them up. By changing the voltage from 12 to 9 Volts the speed of the fans decreases, but it makes the fans un-noticeable while still providing good flow. Easy to wire, cost less than $30, and should solve your problem.

NanoSF

Actually I have done a very similar thing. I am running a bigger 110v 120mm fan with a dimmer switch. I can fully adjust the speed, and the noise is undetectable. So good suggestion. Thanks

NanoSF

I have arranged my rock a bit. I will tinker some more once I decide how I want things. I have added a bunch of frags and a few corals. Here are the updated pics.

Cheebs

Very nice!! Great progress, and the corals are looking good :)

AquaMizu

That's one sexy tank you got there. XD

NanoSF

Wow what an honour. Your first post Mizu was to compliment my tank! Thanks to you and Chubs. It's getting there, but nowhere near as full as my old tank yet. I added a mesh netting (1/4" squares) to the top while trying to maintain the rimless appearance. I got some glass clips that hold the screen framed netting just below the top of the glass. The top still looks rimless and sleek. Very happy with the results. I tried a piece of glass, but boy was that a mistake. It fogged, was too heavy, hard to pick up, got finger prints all over it, and I dropped it once and chipped the corner off. $50 lesson learned (the cost of the custom piece of glass).

dakrazyone

looks great, i'd love to see it in person. I'll let you see what i have lol.

Peekay

Quote from: NanoSF on February 12, 2012, 08:34:43 PM
I added a mesh netting (1/4" squares) to the top while trying to maintain the rimless appearance. I got some glass clips that hold the screen framed netting just below the top of the glass. The top still looks rimless and sleek. Very happy with the results.

Can you elaborate and post some pictures of this?  I have a rimless too that needs covering, but I'd like to keep it slick.  Your technique sounds promising!

NanoSF

Quote from: Peekay on February 13, 2012, 07:46:58 AM
Can you elaborate and post some pictures of this?  I have a rimless too that needs covering, but I'd like to keep it slick.  Your technique sounds promising!

I will post pics later since I am at work right now. I bought screen frame by the foot from Home Hardware. I think at least Rona has it too, maybe even Home Depot. Home Hardware was good because it had a dark grey colour frame along with the standard white and brown. I picked grey because it was the closest to black. You can buy corners to put the pieces together, and you can buy the strip of foam by the foot that attaches the screen (or in this case netting) into the frame. I bought glass clips off ebay from Hong Kong. Not sure why it had to be Hong Kong, but that was all I could find. I will try to post the Ebay page when I get home too. It means you will have to wait 3-4 weeks before you get them though. You might be able to find something more locally if you are lucky. So basically just cut your screen frame with a hacksaw, push in the corners. Then lay the netting over the frame and push in the foam. You don't need the tool. Your hands or a butter knife will do. Cut off the extra. I got my screen from a guy selling some of his left over netting from BSR, but Home Hardware does have some 1/4" netting in black. Mine is clear. Not sure if the colous matters though since it is so thin.

NanoSF

Here is the picture and the link to the ebay sale I bought from. Sorry the light is so blue. My camera's battery was dying and I had no flash.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Glass-Cover-Plastic-Clip-Support-Holder-Aquarium-Tank-/250951161383?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3a6ddad627#ht_3995wt_1161

Hookup

Blue is cruze control for cool

Peekay

Quote from: NanoSF on February 13, 2012, 10:06:55 AM
I will post pics later since I am at work right now. I bought screen frame by the foot from Home Hardware....

Thanks for all the details!  This is perfect.  Didn't really want to deal with the cumbersomeness of glass for opening and closing.. I have my hands in my tank all the time (planted!)  :)

dakrazyone

I remember seeing a video on bulk reef supply about making a top like that, you might want to have a look

NanoSF

Quote from: dakrazyone on February 14, 2012, 08:30:32 AM
I remember seeing a video on bulk reef supply about making a top like that, you might want to have a look

Ya BRS is where the guy got the clear 1/4" netting from, and I did watch the video on their site for the screen frame idea. You should watch the video if you are interested in making one.