New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Rimless

Started by NanoSF, December 30, 2011, 03:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSF

Actually I have done a very similar thing. I am running a bigger 110v 120mm fan with a dimmer switch. I can fully adjust the speed, and the noise is undetectable. So good suggestion. Thanks

NanoSF

I have arranged my rock a bit. I will tinker some more once I decide how I want things. I have added a bunch of frags and a few corals. Here are the updated pics.

Cheebs

Very nice!! Great progress, and the corals are looking good :)

AquaMizu

That's one sexy tank you got there. XD

NanoSF

Wow what an honour. Your first post Mizu was to compliment my tank! Thanks to you and Chubs. It's getting there, but nowhere near as full as my old tank yet. I added a mesh netting (1/4" squares) to the top while trying to maintain the rimless appearance. I got some glass clips that hold the screen framed netting just below the top of the glass. The top still looks rimless and sleek. Very happy with the results. I tried a piece of glass, but boy was that a mistake. It fogged, was too heavy, hard to pick up, got finger prints all over it, and I dropped it once and chipped the corner off. $50 lesson learned (the cost of the custom piece of glass).

dakrazyone

looks great, i'd love to see it in person. I'll let you see what i have lol.

Peekay

Quote from: NanoSF on February 12, 2012, 08:34:43 PM
I added a mesh netting (1/4" squares) to the top while trying to maintain the rimless appearance. I got some glass clips that hold the screen framed netting just below the top of the glass. The top still looks rimless and sleek. Very happy with the results.

Can you elaborate and post some pictures of this?  I have a rimless too that needs covering, but I'd like to keep it slick.  Your technique sounds promising!

NanoSF

Quote from: Peekay on February 13, 2012, 07:46:58 AM
Can you elaborate and post some pictures of this?  I have a rimless too that needs covering, but I'd like to keep it slick.  Your technique sounds promising!

I will post pics later since I am at work right now. I bought screen frame by the foot from Home Hardware. I think at least Rona has it too, maybe even Home Depot. Home Hardware was good because it had a dark grey colour frame along with the standard white and brown. I picked grey because it was the closest to black. You can buy corners to put the pieces together, and you can buy the strip of foam by the foot that attaches the screen (or in this case netting) into the frame. I bought glass clips off ebay from Hong Kong. Not sure why it had to be Hong Kong, but that was all I could find. I will try to post the Ebay page when I get home too. It means you will have to wait 3-4 weeks before you get them though. You might be able to find something more locally if you are lucky. So basically just cut your screen frame with a hacksaw, push in the corners. Then lay the netting over the frame and push in the foam. You don't need the tool. Your hands or a butter knife will do. Cut off the extra. I got my screen from a guy selling some of his left over netting from BSR, but Home Hardware does have some 1/4" netting in black. Mine is clear. Not sure if the colous matters though since it is so thin.

NanoSF

Here is the picture and the link to the ebay sale I bought from. Sorry the light is so blue. My camera's battery was dying and I had no flash.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Glass-Cover-Plastic-Clip-Support-Holder-Aquarium-Tank-/250951161383?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3a6ddad627#ht_3995wt_1161

Hookup

Blue is cruze control for cool

Peekay

Quote from: NanoSF on February 13, 2012, 10:06:55 AM
I will post pics later since I am at work right now. I bought screen frame by the foot from Home Hardware....

Thanks for all the details!  This is perfect.  Didn't really want to deal with the cumbersomeness of glass for opening and closing.. I have my hands in my tank all the time (planted!)  :)

dakrazyone

I remember seeing a video on bulk reef supply about making a top like that, you might want to have a look

NanoSF

Quote from: dakrazyone on February 14, 2012, 08:30:32 AM
I remember seeing a video on bulk reef supply about making a top like that, you might want to have a look

Ya BRS is where the guy got the clear 1/4" netting from, and I did watch the video on their site for the screen frame idea. You should watch the video if you are interested in making one.