New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My First Tank in Ottawa

Started by MJChang, February 21, 2012, 09:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJChang

the tank looks now

the brown nana starts colorin up. it tells well in this hobby its a must 2 b patient. it was dyin then i threw it away then it now gets colored up. doin nothin sometimes helps in tank ::)

kole18

I think you need some cleaner crew your tank is mess up dude, threw some snails & hermits :)

MJChang

Quote from: kole18 on March 17, 2012, 08:42:41 PM
I think you need some cleaner crew your tank is mess up dude, threw some snails & hermits :)

i do have snails--20 somethin. they seem to work far behind cyano does

to get a sand starfish tomorrow

kole18

What do you dose to your tank man? Bud, Heineken , labatt just kidding man:). No I mean what do you dose in your tank got you so much cyano there & lots of fish as well there too. Oh that's really hard to balance for those bioload. I've got 7 fish atleast in my tank, & I feed my fish atleast 2x a day. I only dose bio-cal so far now I cut down the coral-vite since I'm doing water change every 2nd week.

MJChang

Quote from: kole18 on March 17, 2012, 11:49:54 PM
What do you dose to your tank man? Bud, Heineken , labatt just kidding man:). No I mean what do you dose in your tank got you so much cyano there & lots of fish as well there too. Oh that's really hard to balance for those bioload. I've got 7 fish atleast in my tank, & I feed my fish atleast 2x a day. I only dose bio-cal so far now I cut down the coral-vite since I'm doing water change every 2nd week.

zeo amino acid--usual side effect of zeo products

do u guys think plastic planter could release anything harmful into circulation? i put one in the refugium

MJChang

ritteri has really become my foe

i moved the ritteri back to dt and it hugged a powerhead and then sliced itself up

i'm so mad now, again changing tons of water

now everythin seems fine including the awesome sebae

Cheebs

Quote from: kole18 on March 17, 2012, 08:42:41 PM

I'm actually really loving the look of the back wall, looks really neat and natural :)

leemay

nice tank!
what type of anthias? how much you feeding them?

thanks

MJChang

thanks guys

i almost reaquascaped due to the ritteri mess

1 is sunburst

3 resplendent 1 missin 1 loss from ritteri mess. tryin to get 2 replacements

i feed'em twice a day: 1 mysis and 1 cyclopeeze

kole18

Is that the second retteri right? It sucks dude, I've got rbta & gbta which is not doing well due to my alk went down hill & bio cal isn't enough to keep up alk at right level. Alaways something isn't right, but plta is doing well & stupid thing is wont host my clown insted it's rather to host my brain coral.

MJChang

yup, exactly man

the first disappeared

the second sliced up

man, i feel desperate

bta isn't natural host for ocelaris or percula, so you probably need tons of patience. I used to have four bta's, very gorgeous but my ocelaris hosted whole lot of things, like the water outlet, piece of live rock while ignorin the very existence of bta

mag and gig are the natural host. actually my sis and i have maintained all sorts of anemone happy--sebae, gig, bta and condy and mag. we just failed on mag--twice. the sebae i'm now havin seems good so far. to my surprise, my ocelaris or percula hosted it. it seems to be heteractis malu, which naturally only hosts young clowns and clarkii. probably the clowns are still young far from maturity

the previous one was that close to survival before it terminated itself by huggin the darn powerhead

i took 2 powerheads out and rearranged the rockwork. hopefully it'll help.

MJChang

after lots of mess--beer dosin, rtn and ritteri suicide

the tank seems to be back on track

the nana was brown for a while and decides to color up recently

checkin those greenin up coraline, i guess this acro is potential to develop as a strawberry shortcake, greenish coraline, purple tip and pink polyp

the purple rim monti

the green humilis

bein frequently moved ass around, the penope or p-what birdnest has yet to show its full beauty

the dinosaur's egg monti

the watermelon monti

a gorgeous malu and a divorced clown

kole18

hey dude you've got a major algaes outbreak there, run some gfo & carbon to clean up those mess. yikes that happens to my tank at the beggining of 1st month green & red cyano. I did a lot water change & reduced my light as well minimize feeding my fish would help. Nice selection of acro there man, goodluck man 8)

MJChang

i'm runnin'em. and i guess the situation is improvin, sigh, compared with the pix in last month

i'm a little bit desperate for ive got nothin to reduce

nitrate 0--salifert and tropic marin

phosphate 0--hanna

dont know where cyano comes from

bt

Your levels could be 0 because it's being all used up by the algae.  You may still need to deal with the nitrate and phosphate source reduction, though.

Have you tried a lights out period?

MJChang

yup for 2 days

then my diamond goby jumped out to kiss the carpet

MJChang

however i'm going to reaquacae the tank next year to mimic a barrier reef scenario

Cheebs

In any case it's looking great, I don't se emuch of an algae outbreak myself compared to the other pics :) Good job!

kole18

I think those green slimy algae it comes from dry foods, I'd noticed on my tank every time I feed pellets it always ended up not been eating all my fish & shrimp in a few days I see green slim on dead beaches of my acropora of what I do try to point my power heads direct to those algae just get rid off it or I even grab the snails place it to that spot :) I stop a bit feeding dry foods now these causes a lot nitrates that's what I find :(

MJChang

usually i do reaquascape and scrub both glass and live rocks and then algae disappear

but since i live in ottawa alone without help from my family to complete such a big job, id better say let it be

yet ive planned a summer trip to australia. so i'd very possibly reaquascape it from pix