New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Frag tank/ sump in basement

Started by bandit, January 15, 2013, 01:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit

I'm setting up a 50gal frag tank/sump in my basement. Does anybody no if a quite one 6000 will pump 10 foot rise 20 foot length

Wooki

The max height for the quiet one 6000 is 11.5 ft.  So you are looking at a optimal flow rate of about 150 gph at 10 feet.  See the chart below from J&L

http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/flowcharts/quietone_6000.jpg

Add a few turns, and more lateral distance, and you might end up with less than 100 gph. 

So it seems it would not be powerful enough.

W
180g mixed reef,
Mostly LPS with some SPS.
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts

bandit

Thanks humm I'm only running a 1200 at 4 feet so my current sump turnover is 150 gal/hr, I like slow low but 100 gal is too slow

bandit

I guess a mag drive 12 or 18 I'm just worried the 18 would be to much flow??

Wooki

Bandit

I recall now that reef central has a head loss calculator where they programmed in the published data from manufacturers. 

http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

It does height, number of valves, 90 degree turns, etc....  It should be helpful for your planning.

W
180g mixed reef,
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts

Aquaticfinatic

I have a mag 18 pushing maybe 10' at most and is just trickling out of the returns. I should have gone for the 24 but going up in size doubles the power consumption. If I had to do it again I would pay a little more for a better more efficient pump. Go DC if you can afford it :0) quiet ones are not the most energy efficient ones out there FYI. If you want to stick with them make sure the pump has HH on it which stands for high head. It'll push a lot higher than one without. Hope this helps  :)

bandit

Quote from: Aquaticfinatic on January 16, 2013, 07:27:36 AM
I have a mag 18 pushing maybe 10' at most and is just trickling out of the returns. I should have gone for the 24 but going up in size doubles the power consumption. If I had to do it again I would pay a little more for a better more efficient pump. Go DC if you can afford it :0) quiet ones are not the most energy efficient ones out there FYI. If you want to stick with them make sure the pump has HH on it which stands for high head. It'll push a lot higher than one without. Hope this helps  :)

thanks do you have any elbos is it a solid line, I find your better with vinyl and long gradual bends.

bandit

Quote from: Wooki on January 15, 2013, 11:13:59 PM
Bandit

I recall now that reef central has a head loss calculator where they programmed in the published data from manufacturers. 

http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

It does height, number of valves, 90 degree turns, etc....  It should be helpful for your planning.

W

Thanks ;)

az

check octopus water blaster pumps, lots of flow at any height, low wattage too. mag drive would do good too, quiet1 dont do too well at certain height, we needed a 9000 to push 8' high.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Aquaticfinatic

Quote from: bandit on January 16, 2013, 09:20:28 AM
thanks do you have any elbos is it a solid line, I find your better with vinyl and long gradual bends.

I have half and half. Where it goes through the floor and to the returns are 3/4 pvc but the rest down to the pump is hose. I had a q1 4000hh that just couldn't do it plus run hot. Flexible PVC is the way I'm going next time for sure. I have 2 elbows in each of the two return lines i have plus split into 2 1/2 loc lines. That may slow it a little but not much.

Severum

Poseidon pumps are the way to go. Mine pushes 15' with a 40' run and is so quiet you have to touch it to tell its on. Does run a little hot, but water gets cold in the basement.

I think you might have seen it when over trading frags a while ago.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Aquaticfinatic

Quote from: Severum on January 16, 2013, 12:30:52 PM
Poseidon pumps are the way to go. Mine pushes 15' with a 40' run and is so quiet you have to touch it to tell its on. Does run a little hot, but water gets cold in the basement.

Is that internal or ex?

Severum

Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

bandit

Quote from: Severum on January 16, 2013, 12:30:52 PM

I will look into those pumps I like the external idea gives me much more room, hw long have you had the Poseidon and what model??

bandit

Well It looks like the poseidons are discontinued??  >:(

Severum

I use the PS4. Yes I guess they are dicontinued by now. I found mine here on OVAS for about $100 or so. Been working for several years without any issues.

I found a PS4 online...
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/browseproducts/Velocity-Poseidon-PS4-Titanium-Aquarium-Pump.html

Flow charts for the various models would determine which is best for your application. I needed the most flow at the highest head.
http://www.marinedepot.com/pumps_poseidon_information-ap.html
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

bandit

thanks for the link, unfortunatly you cant order it LOL

bandit

I ended up buying a iwaki today http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/iwaki-md-30rt-japanese-motor-510-gph.html

Hope it works has 17 foot head only I measured 10 feet  I need

Severum

Well good luck with it. Let us know how it goes.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

Wooki

Quote from: bandit on January 17, 2013, 10:27:15 PM
I ended up buying a iwaki today http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/iwaki-md-30rt-japanese-motor-510-gph.html

Hope it works has 17 foot head only I measured 10 feet  I need

Good choice for an external
180g mixed reef,

bandit

yeah i am a bit nervous now, think i should of went bigger. Read the install and it sez keep the pump a minimum of 12" below water source??? I dont have the room

bandit

Hooked everything up, ended up getting the iwaki 40 rt has 21 foot head. Well it's got a lot of power I have to reduce the flow by about 60 percent with a ball valve. The pump pumps more then my 1.5" return can handle.

Here is a pic of the frag tank so far, now I need start fragging

Thanks Barabe for the awesome yellow tang.

Wooki

Quote from: bandit on January 27, 2013, 07:09:38 PM
Hooked everything up, ended up getting the iwaki 40 rt has 21 foot head. Well it's got a lot of power I have to reduce the flow by about 60 percent with a ball valve. The pump pumps more then my 1.5" return can handle.

Nice.  Where's your skimmer?  One could separate the sump from the frag tank.  Put your reactors and skimmer in the sump.  Then you could redirect some of the flow from your display tank to your frag tank or use it to run some of your reactors.
180g mixed reef,

bandit

Lol it's below in the sump the the flow is pumped from sump to display then drains from display to frag tang then to sump.

bandit

I'm thinking of Teeing off the pump line and running some reactors or just for more low in the frag gtank

Aquaticfinatic

Looking good  ;) it's the biggest frag tank I've seen.

bandit

Lol, unfortunately it's already not big enough.