New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Breeders Forum or Sticky topic?

Started by groan, January 02, 2007, 11:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groan

I will shortly be in the market for a bunch more Africans and i have been trying to figure out who is breeding what in the Ottawa area and thought it would be great to have an up-to-date list of who's breeding what and maybe even thier general location in Ottawa/PQ.

I know there is a Breeders directoy but It does not give a list of what people are breeding at the moment and when new fish will be available.

Any thoughts?

beowulf

It would be interesting to either have a board or if people had a section in their profiles listing what they have currently.

groan

problem with just profiles is that you first have to know who the breeders are then go looking for a post by them.

There should be a one stop spot to look and if you are interested in selling fish, update your assigned post or whatever.

if there was a devoted board, and if I were a breeder, I would have one post assigned to me
"Groan's Fishy List"
In there I would list what I have for sale and quantities and prices.
This should be for breeders only since we have the classifieds for one-offs and stuff.

In my thread people could ask questions about the fish i have for sale.

beowulf

Well I was thinking people could have like the "view gallery" link under their name except it goes to a list of fish they currently have.

groan

THAT would be fantastic, but would require additional programing to get working.
With a forum post you could do it now (for example) and as I said, I wouldnt need to look for a poster. all i would need to do is go to the breeders forum and look to see who has what.

good idea with the 'gallery' type button tough.

groan

Oh, And I realize we hagve the breeders directory on the side menu, but it depends on someone to update it. if it were a forum then the breeders can update it themselves, include pics, post information reply to questions etc.

anyways, i dont mean to cause trouble it's just an idea out of my future requests for stock.

And DD, I understand family comes first so I dont mean this to seem to be like pressure to get the lists updated...just thinking out of the box.

darkdep

No worries!  Actually this initiative was attempted mid last year and just didn't get very far.  We have two lists up, one for the BAP program (which is actively being maintained, although is currently waiting for me to update it with a lot of new entries) and the Breeders Directory, which just never got the participation we hoped for.

I put the idea on the back burner and hoped to design an interactive feature where breeders could maintain their own lists via a form, which would then provide a searchable interface for those looking for specific fish (and those who wish to browse).  A ways off tho, requires some programming time.

groan

sigh, oh well. i'll just have to do what i did last time and post my hops adn hope everyone can help me find new babies!

darkdep

That's the best suggestion for now.  It's still what I do :)