New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Being New to Forums!!!!

Started by busdriver, July 14, 2006, 04:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busdriver

As I'm new to this forum or any forum for that matter, could someone explain the lingo to me?
Like: bump, PM, I think stands for 'post message', ping.

Anything that will help.

Thanks,

Busdriver
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

dpatte

bump means adding a reply so the message reappears at the top of the recent messages list

pm means private message

ping means to check if a person or system is reacting

babblefish1960

APW means all powerful webmaster, aka Darkdep, and any quotes from Monty python skits or movies will curry favour with the rest of us, but sadly not the APW.

check out the posting guidlines and netiquette, they are chock full of good information.

PaleoFishGirl

Netiquette sticky topic

Posting Guidelines sticky topic

PS welcome to the OVAS forum!

dpatte

darkdep

Hey, I liked that movie.  Artw, take notice..

PaleoFishGirl

That movie? Bollywood is a whole genre :D

Are you talking about Bollywood/Hollywood?

darkdep

busdriver

How did we get from "Being New to Forums" to Bollywood movies?
Did I miss something?
The last movie I saw was Lord of the Rings, extended version.

Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

RoxyDog

welcome busdriver.  :) 
getting from being new to the forum to bollywood is nothing, wait until you ask about oh, I don't know, FISH and they bring up monty python.   ;D
DarkDep can't we just ban monty python references all together?!   ;D
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

babblefish1960

Roxy you philistine, monty python is high art and mensa class humour. :D

busdriver, welcome, good luck, we're not always so irreverent, just more fun than a room full of upper class twits.

The fish related stuff should be fairly straight forward though, try it, you'll see and learn and enjoy yourself too.

darkdep

Mensa Class Humour?  Not even close my friend :)

babblefish1960

Just because these men in Monty python sang about lumberjacks, spam, slapped each other with fish and called each other Bruce and so on, does not mean they were not intelligent, Cleese for example was a barrister, Chapman was a doctor, Jones was a very talented pianist, Idle an accountant I believe, and so on.

Humour such as theirs may seem glib, but it takes much writing and practice to appear so "off the cuff" as it were. And as it has stood the test of time, it was truly funny in the very first place. :P

See what I mean busdriver, the APW has soaked his head enough times that all the ha ha has fallen out with the rinse. ;)

Laura

Welcome aboard busdriver.
You may also find this link http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=42 helpful when a posting makes no sense - well, maybe it won't help everytime ;) but it should clear up some of the fish related acronyms.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

gmueller

bump means to:
B ump
U p
M y
P osts

hope that helps a bit