New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New outdoor pond

Started by MrSharkSpoiler, May 05, 2007, 10:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSharkSpoiler

G'day all
I just had some landscaping done and a pond / water fall installed and was wondering whether i should go with Koi or goldfish

the pond area is approx 6ft in diameter, and approx 12-16 inches deep
so i did the math and this equates to about 150-200 gallons

websites tell me koi require 2+ ft of depth for consistent water temp.

the pond is also configured with a water fall that flows down rocks into the main pool of water where the fish will be.
and also, considering the ottawa weather, when would be the ideal time to get them.. temp outside is still chilly in the evening...

any tips appriciated :-)

Fishnut

I would defiantly recommend goldfish.  Koi get very large and in time would outgrow that pond.  You can get a nice variety of goldfish colours as well.  I would avoid getting the feeder goldfish though.  They are intended for food and are often sickly compared to the nice plump "pond fish".

Happy shopping!

squeeker

I would also recommend goldfish.  Koi require at LEAST 150 gallons each, so you could only fit one koi in that pond, nothing else.  I have a pond the same size, and you can safely put about 5 goldfish inside instead; they can be just as beautiful.

Be sure to post pics of your pond!

kennyman

I used to open and close a few of the ones that I helped build when I worked for a landscape contractor and it was always a chore to deal with a bucket full of fish in November. Three of four fish and you will have 40 or 50 in there by the fall. Even if you use a floating heater to keep a hole open over the winter I would not leave fish in that pond.  Every time I got called to deal with an algae problem it was due to people feeding the fish. Once the pond has matured goldfish do not need to be fed. It is just a way for people to interact with them for enjoyment and not really required. The big koi are another matter though. One of those would be self sustaining in around 1000 gallons.

Does the system use a skimerbox and biofall unit?

RedFish

MrSharkSpoiler

Thanks for the relpy.
I will end up getting goldfish based on everything i've read so far.

Here are the pics you requested.
Note that it's changed a little bit since there was a hole in the linner and the landscape guys had to redo it.
the close up picture of the water, i plan on moving rocks around to give more depth and space.

Q. once the landscape guys leave, i will run the system for a week
is there anything else i need to do for prep?

oenology

If I was to restock then I'd go with Watikins or sarrasins only - beautiful white and red. www.sempei has/had a great deal on the Watikins.

PaleoFishGirl

Very nice setup! What did that set you back?

MrSharkSpoiler

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on May 08, 2007, 09:17:04 AM
Very nice setup! What did that set you back?

you dont wanna know  :(

My GF paid for it with an inheritance...

Fishnut

Very nice!!  Your girlfriend spoiled you! 

Definitely goldfish for that pond.  Here's our new pond, but it's not nearly as nice.  Presently there are 2 3" sarasa goldfish in it.  Next year there are plans to put in an above ground pond, similar to the Super Pet style...only deeper and without the cascading waterfall :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

babblefish1960

errr...looks great, but I couldn't see the fish exactly, they must be lounging under the green stuff in the middle...ummm, nice pond. ;)

Fishnut

Yes, that's exactly where they are.  They're little chickens.  I have to sit next to it for 20 minutes for them to come out.  Here's a pic of one of them.

[attachment deleted by admin]

babblefish1960

Silly me, I thought you were losing your marbles in this heat, there really are fish in there, nice picture. :)

MrSharkSpoiler

I was at petsmart yesterday for fun before going to costco to check the goldfish prices

i saw a few thousand going for 27 cents.. about 1.5 inches long.. should i start with a dozen of those to make sure larger things i buy in the future survive?
id hate to start with 20$+ fish and have them test the waters and die....

and of the 2 dozen that i do get if that happens, will they reproduce?

thanks for the feedback everyone.
all and any suggestion appriciated.
its my first time :D

Mettle

Those 27cent fish are feeders. They're likely to carry disease, be inbred and develop deformities as they grow. Most pet store staff don't usually advise using these for the reasons listed, but also because the store doesn't make money on feeders. They'd rather sell you $20-$100 koi.  ;D   However, there is a nice medium in between. Keep your eye out for 'pond fish'. Quite a few places get them in and they're usually around $2-$5/ea. depending on size. Or you could go for shubunkins - which are probably around $5/ea. or so - but I can't remember how big these grow. They used to be called 'the poor man's koi' at one point when koi weren't overbred and dirt cheap, back when they still commanded a decent amount of money on the market.