New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

turtle pond

Started by C-Dog, May 08, 2007, 11:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

Thanks for the FYI on that steel mesh, folks!

Was wondering - is it only offered in the standard metal finish or are there carieties with plastic coating/colours on them? Because I'd likely have to end up painting it or doing something so that it doesn't look so industrial.

sas

Quote from: Mettle on May 14, 2007, 12:20:19 PM
Thanks for the FYI on that steel mesh, folks!

Was wondering - is it only offered in the standard metal finish or are there carieties with plastic coating/colours on them? Because I'd likely have to end up painting it or doing something so that it doesn't look so industrial.
I've never seen it in any colours other than that silver finish? Can't see why you couldn't use a Tremclad paint and get the color you're after? Not sure though if the paint may flake off the wires. It's an agricultural product so pretty doesn't really factor in usually just function. I'm assuming you could take this cover off during the day and replace at night, and since raccoons and other varmints are nocturnal your turtles/fish would be safe?

Mettle

I'd be leaving it on 24/7. Helps keeps the birds out as well.

murgus

Just throwing another idea out there...what about egg crate for an enclosure?  At least for the non-main-viewing sections.  It can be painted as well if the white/silver looks does not fit with the outdoor decor ;D  Plus it it lightweight, relatively cheap and easy attached/hinged using zip ties.

Andrew

C-Dog

mabe i will the the rubbermaid container lol its prob gonna be cheaper that way. how big do they come tho? and since most are square, its easy to build a frame arround lol. so if i built a 2x4 frame with that wire mesh stuff, and some crazy locks that would be pretty good?

sas

C-dog check out your local feedstores, ag. suppliers,greenhouse etc. in your area. They should have what you are looking for. Rubbermaid makes some really strong water toughs that are ideal possibly for what you are planning. They are a bit pricey but they are very durable, lasting for years. We have a 150g that serves as a horse waterer in the winter and a goldfish pond in the summer :D. HTH

C-Dog

kool thanks
how much was ur 150gal?
that would let me guestimate about cost/size i'll need
thanks for teh tip

sas

Quote from: C-Dog on May 16, 2007, 06:32:14 PM
kool thanks
how much was ur 150gal?
that would let me guestimate about cost/size i'll need
thanks for teh tip

I paid  just under $200. and the troughs are heavy duty plastic...........used to water cattle, horses etc.. I'm pretty sure you can get bigger but depending on where you go it would probably be a special order?

Mettle

Sas -I think C is probably going to be looking or slightly smaller.

C-Dog

yea depending on the prices and the dimensions they have.
thanks.

Corey