New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pond newby

Started by beertech, May 10, 2007, 08:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beertech

Hi everyone,  I am a saltwater guy, but am contemplating a pond this year.
I have a few questions before I begin.I would like to have the main pond sitting between two spruce trees, with a smaller raised pond off to one side.I would like to have the two connected by a waterfall or creek.
I'm wondering if the spruce needles that are inevitably going to fall in the pond are going to cause any water quality problems, or can they simply be removed with some kind of skimmer attachment?
Also, for the pump, would a 300 gal./hr fountain pump work for the waterfall if the height difference isn't too much?Is there a minimum flow required for the waterfall/filter?
I would like to get this up and running as cheaply as possible, and I've seen a 400 gal. kit with the liner, pump, and light for $129.00.(It's on the shopping channel.com)
Would It be better to buy this kit, or should I look around for a used Mag 5 or 7 pump and buy the liner seperately.Are there any inexpensive but reliable options to the liners that are sold at Big Al's?
Anyway, I guess that's enough for now, I'm sure I'll have more questions later,
Thanks,Gord. :)

PaleoFishGirl

Ever notice that nothing grows under a spruce tree? It's not just because of the shade - the needles are acidic and affect the soil.  They will cause your pond water to become very acidic as well.

beowulf

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on May 10, 2007, 09:21:57 AM
Ever notice that nothing grows under a spruce tree? It's not just because of the shade - the needles are acidic and affect the soil.  They will cause your pond water to become very acidic as well.

So true!!!  Might not be the best place for it.

beertech

I thought so,
No problem, I can find a better place. Thanks.
Now, what about the liner and pump?

PaleoFishGirl

That kit sounds like a pretty good deal, might be fun to try for your first pond.

You can get pond liner at Rona and Home Depot, Ritchies, etc.  It's typically pretty expensive (unless you get lucky and catch a store selling off all their stock, eh Sue?) and you need to buy padding for underneath to help keep roots from growing through.  Also, it can rip - those pre-fab hard plastic liners are a lot more durable but then you are limited to the one shape.

All I can say is plan this out *really well* before you go and put the pond in.  Maybe get in touch with The Pond Clinic guys in Bell's Corners - I believe they offer an OVAS discount!

beertech

I just got back from The Pond Clinic with a bunch of good advice and a nice catalogue and dvd to help with my project.
Very nice people, great store.Thanks P.F.G!  :)

kennyman

The kits I used to deal with started around $800 for a 6' pond, bio-fall unit and pump. The waterfalls need more like 3000 gph. Also digging a hole for a pond too near a tree is never a great idea mostly because of having to chop through so much root.

The tricky thing with streams is getting enough water above the rock covering the liner. Expanding foam works wonders to keep the water from flowing under the rocks and spilling over where you want it to.

beertech

Yeah, I saw waterfall foam at the store, and wondered what it was for.
I know that this kit is pretty basic, and the pump it comes with won't be able to handle a waterfall, but it seems like an easy way to get started.Then I can add a proper pump to handle the waterfall and filter.I won't be putting fish in until then anyway.
As for the spruce needles being acidic, I will have a surface skimmer to remove them before they can decompose and become a problem.I will constantly monitor the P.H., and adjust it as needed.I'm in Kanata, and the ground is almost solid rock. I don't think roots will be the hardest part of digging.( besides, I have 4 kids, all boys for that) ;) I'm not too worried about the trees roots penetrating the liner, as they are pretty mature and have already established their main root systems.

Sue

Ponds do best when they get a lot of sunlight. How much are those spruce tree's are shading the site? 

beertech

Good point, it gets full sun until about noon, then half of the pond will be shaded.The nice girl at the Pond Clinic said that there are different plants available for shade or sun, so I think I should be able to place some accordingly.Will half a day of sun be enough for light loving plants?