New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pond Algae

Started by neon, May 23, 2007, 09:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon

I have a small pond with a liner.  Its starting to get algae all over it .  What should I get to take care of this, I was told apple snails but I would need quite a few.  In the past, I've had a common pleco in there, but it didn't do a great job.  Any suggestions?

beowulf

I would also have said pleco.  How big is the pond and how big was the pleco?  If the pleco is way to small for the pond he might not be able to make a dent in it. 

PaleoFishGirl

What has algae on it, the liner or the top of the pond? If the top of the pond, just scoop it out.  Duckweed will help too :) 

Is your pond full-sun? Maybe you need some shade - plant a tree!

squeeker

Lots of pond plants - duckweed, lilies, water lettuce/hyacinth... these will all help to use the sunlight before it penetrates into your pond.

Do you have any fish in the pond?

beowulf

Don't goldfish eat some of it also?

neon

Its a small pond, about 60gallons, its in sun for half the day, I have 3 water hyacinths that are starting to spread, and 2 goldfish.  Its the liner thats getting slimy.  The goldfish havn't been eating much either, I've noticed some food on the bottom.  I have a filter also attached to a pump, which moves the water around.

gvv

Your pond should be 70-80% covered with floating plants. Till then you may have slimy algae on the liner and green water.
Goldfish eat slimy algae and definitely not green water, but don't worry, it will go away as soon as you will have a lot of plants. Don't feed you goldfish - they are lazy and would prefer food for algae. Yes, you may put pleco, snails, but for pleco it could be too early. What is the night temp in your pond? Check first thing in the morning. It is small pond you have and temp difference could be huge between day and night. And common pleco will not help much - from my experience, they will find something else to eat and algae will be their last selection.
Water movement will help with oxidizing and warming the water in the pond. My pump is on timer and during the night it does not work, only during the day 10-12 hours.

And after all, even if some algae will be left on the liner, that is not so terrible, at least I don't mind. :)

Wish it helps a little...

succinctfish

I know apple snails are tropical, but isn't there still some danger in putting an invasive pest species, one which we all know likes to travel around and explore, outside? Apple snails also have a great appetite for plants over algae, so if you wanted snails in there, wouldn't some type of native snail be a better choice?  Although, it would possibly eat your plants too. :)

squeeker

If there is food leftover, you are overfeeding.  Keep in mind that excess food will spoil the water conditions, and will also decompose and add nutrients to the water column,which adds to the algae problems. 

I hardly feed my fish while outside in the summer.  The duckweed, bugs, algae, and other plants really give them everything they need.

As gvv stated, you need more plants!  Reduce the amount of sun hitting the water, and this will starve out the algae.

Keep in mind, though, that the algae is normal and there should be some present.