New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ponds

Started by dpatte, January 28, 2005, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

I am curious about setting up a garden pond this spring.

Can any pondkeepers here recommend good books about setting up a pond. Where do I read about issues related to the pond and winter?

Does the OVAS library have any books about pond setup and maintenance?

Has anyone here tried using a pond for breeding tropicals?

How much does it cost to setup and run a pond?

Sue

My pond's always been for tropical fish.  I've had livebearers (guppies, platties, swordtails) breed in my pond producing at least one or two broods befor the water gets too cold. I've had a smaller number of other egg layer babies: white clouds, rosy barbs and even a couple of flame tetra's.  I put cichlids out there but I haven't seen any fry produced.  The fish love the live food, and big area to swim in.  Last year I put a 7 inch synodontis catfish out there and he had the time of his life for a few months!

Ponds aren't that expensive, and well worth the entertainment value during our short summers.

JBL

We have a pond (indoors) it's close to 250 (maybe a little more) gal. It has 3 heaters, one PJ 3000 with 4 filter canisters, lights (underwater), gravel and a UV filter. I think the whole set-up cost about $6 to $700.00. The issue you run into outdoors is the wiring to code (special breakers etc.) and protecting UV equipment etc. from the elements.

Currently has some goldfish, 1 KOI 9", 1 Pacu 16" (Pacu would be a nice addition for your tank :)) and 2 ID sharks one of them is about 15".

(geeze maybe I can talk my son into selling the whole thing to you)

NjOyRiD

Sue..how do you keep the water cold during the summer with your livebearers??
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

dannypd

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"Sue..how do you keep the water cold during the summer with your livebearers??

Cold?  You mean warm?  

My goldfish pond never surpased 21 celcius, 4 feet deep, 7 feet wide.

NjOyRiD

oh really...thats not bad then...

do you change your water sometimes?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

aidensmomma2000

Im glad this was posted- Im thinking of doing the same!

Sue

Re: how water is kept warm?...it isn't. The fish are only outside from mid june-mid sept. (or less depending on the weather)

dannypd

I usually use my pond water to water my grass, makes it VERY green!!

Then I let the rain water from my roof top-off my pond...if its really dry out, I'll just stick the hose in the pond  *blushes*...they were feeder fish at one point, and now they are mostly 7", I dont think the clorine will hurt them much (I think the pond may have around 700 gallons, lol).

aidensmomma2000

Quote from: "Sue"Re: how water is kept warm?...it isn't. The fish are only outside from mid june-mid sept. (or less depending on the weather)

So for the rest of the year you've got a tank set up just for them then? (I realise this seems obvious, just confirming really)

dannypd

Quote from: "aidensmomma2000"
Quote from: "Sue"Re: how water is kept warm?...it isn't. The fish are only outside from mid june-mid sept. (or less depending on the weather)

So for the rest of the year you've got a tank set up just for them then? (I realise this seems obvious, just confirming really)

not me   :twisted:

the only one I bring in is the Chinese algea eater...if he lets me, lol.  He's about 9" now...and sits dormant inside a rubbermain container set at 15'C (actually, it's probably like 17-18, but he's not hungry, not swimming).

aidensmomma2000

So all your other fish do what then?

dannypd

Quote from: "aidensmomma2000"So all your other fish do what then?

If you're talking to me, they stay outside...the water at the bottom will never get colder then 4'Celcius, and there's usually only 4 inches of ice at the top  (there is an air pump running, and sometimes I have a geyser form when it freezes over...lol)

aidensmomma2000

Sue

Yes I have a tanks for them inside.