New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Putting the pond to bed for the winter

Started by CMW, October 21, 2007, 07:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMW

As the temperature drops we have been busy in the backyard.

Our temporary squatter, the muskrat, has not been seen in weeks.  We have pulled out the damaged plants and timed those that survived.  Today we broke down and put netting over the entire pond to keep more leaves from coming in.  I am tired of pulling leaves out by and and fishing them off the bottom with our big net.

Our five butterfly Koi and one giant fancy goldfish have moved inside for the winter.  The six feeder goldfish and one standard koi are staying in the pond this winter.  We also moved the two shibunkins from the aquarium out to the pond. 

There was a HUGE temperature difference between the pond and the aquarium so we were very carefull, esp with those going from warm to cold water.  We put those moving out in a cooler and left it on the back deck for the day and overnight.  There was less then a 5 degree difference when they made the big move to the pond.

We were at The Pond Clinic to look at airpumps (to keep a gas-exchange hole in the ice) and to pick up the cold water bacteria.  We were told that they be getting in some new air pumps very soon, maybe already.  We got the cold water bacteria and have started adding it.  I think it helped clear up the water.  We have the pump and waterfall running still.  We are going to see how long we can leave them out.

Most of the frogs have left the pond.  Those who are still there seem to be hanging out in the pump house.  I have heard this described as "where frogs go to die" so I plan to evict them all before the ice sets in. 

Even though we have a lined pond, we put a fair quantity of dirt in the bottom of the pond and then covered it with river stone.  Not sure if we will keep it in next summer, but for now it should give the frogs something to burrow into for the winter.  We had crystal clear water this summer so the dirt did not cause any difficulties in that regard.  If anyone knows reasons pro or con for keeping the dirt please let me know  :-\.

As for those who moved inside, they are doing well.  I thought they were little piggies when they were out in the pond.  That was nothing compared to how much they want to eat now that they are in the aquarium and don't have other "pond stuff" to munch on.  We are a bit worried that these six might be overcrowded and will dirty the water.  We are running a Fluval 404 and have added an AQ 70.  We just tested the water and it is doing extremely well. ;D

As for the pond, we are working away on the landscaping around it.  Thanks to the muskrat we are pretty much back to square one for the water plants.  We have planted 7 burberries, 7 blue spruce, 2 weeping cypress and one mugho pine on the backside of the waterfall's hill.  There are daylilies along the edge on one side and we have just added what I am hoping are irises to the other side and a creeping yew  to tie it into the bridge.  It has been a busy year and that is only the pond building and landscaping! ;)

So far so good for our crew  :D.  This is the first year, first winter, first pond and pretty much first fish.

The Pond Boy

Hi,

Question, why are you doing cold water bacteria in the pond, when the pond is already established? Trowing money in the pond? The bacteria will not clear up the water. It will help stabilizing the bacteria in the pond.

The airpump will help you to keep a hole in the ice but you need also a heater. The heater can be off when the weather is nice and the air-pump keeps a hole in the ice. When the temperature drops to about -20 degrees, the airpump need help from the heater.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

CMW

We are adding the cold water bacteria based on information received from the Pond Clinic seminar and research we have done on the web.  We have noticed an improvement in the water since adding the bacteria.  Perhaps our water did not have the problems that came to mind for you, that might not be aided by the addition of bacteria.  I am not sure what came to mind for you when you read my post.

The following is some product information for the product we used, it pretty much wraps up what we found:
AquaClearer Extreme Cold Water Liquid bacteria is scientifically blended and tested to product maximum results during colder temperatures.  During the spring and autumn season there is extreme nutrient loading in the pond as trees and plants in and around the pond are dropping organic material into the pond.  AquaClearer Extreme Cold Water contains a proprietary blend of microbes that are effective at accelerating the digestion of this organic material at the bottom of the pond. It is also excellent at reducing ammonia, nitrites, and excess nutrients that would otherwise cause poor water clarity.

As for the method of keeping the gas exchange hole open we have decided that we are going to try this winter with the bubbler option.  I have seen many postings and discussions about the various options and combo's people use to keep the hole open.  Based on everything, we have decided that this is the best option for our particular setup and conditions.  We are going to keep a close eye on the pond to ensure we keep an adequate opening.  We are aware that if it freezes over we should melt a hole with hot water and NOT attempt to crack the ice as the shock could kill the fish.

Cheers,
c

The Pond Boy

Hi,

From me you can throw as much AquaClearer Extreme Cold Water Liquid as you want but I know from experience and the Aquascape courses what it does to your water. Same as I said it doesn't make sense to do this.

Also for the bubbler, from experience I know it doesn't work enough when it is cold. If the the hole freeze and the pump is still running you are "blowing up" the pressure in your pond and I can tell you from experience that koi do not like this. We found last year our 5 biggest koi (12 inches and more) dead in the spring.
But who am I, you can do what you choose to do.

By the way if you want to learn about your pond and plant become member from the Greater Ottawa Water Garden Society.
www.ottawaponds.ca

Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

renadia

I did go to the pond seminar and they were recommending we use 2 methods for keeping a hole opened , not just one. That's asking for trouble  :D

Air bubbler is good alone when the temperature is not extremly cold. And it should be installed on a higher section of the pond than the bottom.

When the weather gets to cold, you should start the heater to ensure you maintain a hole in the ice and keep an eye on it and if the hole should get covered or to small to then add a pail of hot water. Maybe you should check with the Pond Clinic on this to make sure you don't get your pond alll ready and end up with dead fish in the spring, that would br discouraging :(

Glad to see your Koi's are doing good inside  ;D Mine are doing great! I realised I was over feeding them, no wonder they were not interested in me :-\  I now feed them every second day and I have plants in there to keep then busy  ;)  They do make a mess of the plants!  ;D  I added 3 snails and 3 cories to help clean that place, I already had a pleco and have 2 filters to keep up with the bioload of these guys.

Did you post any pictures of your guys in the gallery? Would like to see them  :) I have closed down the waterfall and pond, there's just a few inches of water left. I  am planning to modify the pond next spring, lots of planning to do this winter  :D

That's the fun of gardening and what would you call it "pond ering" ??  ;)

See you

Diane

The Pond Boy

Renadia,

You are right with your information about keeping a hole in the ice. Some pond installers are also recommending to put a small pump (250-500 gallon) on the bottom of the pond for circulation.

I am took already all the plants from my pond and put them already in the "heated" garage. The fish, I am planning to do that in the second half of November. In my opinion they are better doing in the pond then in a tank.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

renadia

Yep that was the second option ;) A small pump and as backup for cold weather the heater!

Your poor Koi's all alone and cold in their pond  :'(

LOL just kidding, mine are so happy in their tank, they now come and greet me when I go and check on them  ;D

I have invested so much in them, might as well enjoy them! 8)

The Pond Boy

Hi Renadia,

I lost track of the money invested in the koi. Must be between the $6000 and $7000. I love my koi.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

CMW

Renadia;

Sorry to have missed the OVAS mtng.  Will you be going to the Greater Ottawa Water Gardening Society mtng tomorrow that I sent you the info for?  If so I hope to see you there.

I went to that Pond Clinic seminar.  They told us about the combined methods.  We are going to try with just the bubbler.  I want to avoid the heater if we can.  As noted, we are going to keep a close eye on it so see how it goes.  Our pond is in a very sheltered spot where is will be kept warmer then most areas and in the pond we have an even more sheltered spot where we are going to have the bubbler.  IF we find it just is not enough then we will add a heater.

I think that you need to be careful with the option of a pump for "circulation", as per the reason they suggest that the bubbler be put on a shelf, you don't want to be pulling up the "warmer" (4 degree) water from the bottom and cooling it off.  It sounds as though you are going with bubbler/heater combo.  That seemed to be the most recommended combo.

Rockie is not all by himself in the pond, he is just the only Koi.  He has two shubunkin and six goldfish buddies to keep him company.  He seems to be doing fine.

I have a few photos of my koi when they were in the pond.  I have not posted them anywhere though.  I suppose I could take some photos of them in the aquarium.  How are you doing on getting your guys to eat out of your hand?  Mine seem so hungry, if they could I think they would jump right out of the water and mob us for food each day.  Casper (one of our newest) actually went right up onto my hand to grab some food.  He was the friendliest in the pond as well.

Hope to see you tomorrow.

Cheers,
c