New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

indoor pool with light?

Started by dpatte, February 15, 2005, 05:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

by some stroke of fate, im now growing pond plants in one of my tanks... a tall Sagittaria, and a rush called Eleocharis dulcis (it was an experiment - both grow to 4 feet high or so)

They would make great outdoor pond plants.

But since its February, not May - i was wondering if anyone has ideas of the cheapest way to continue their growth indoors.

What is the cheapest way to have a pool of water 12z+ inches deep and with bright lighting?  THINK CHEAPEST!

dannypd

lol, you asked the right person ;)

Easiest would be to build an outdoor pool in your basement...however, that could get quite large and expensive.

The CHEAPEST way I've seen it done was to breed goldfish, but it can be done for plants:

1xused pool liner  (as big as you need)
a lot of 2x4 (or 4x4)
waffer board (wood chips glued together??)

Build your frame, the size you need.  The higher you go, the more strengh you will need.  Use styrofoam for the base + corners, and pack a little extra insulation (pink stuff) around the corners.  Check for any sharp edges, nails, wood, etc.  Use spray on foam for those pricks.

Buy a Dolphin 650 pump (used for fountains) and run a pipe to create some circulation.

Add a few goldfish for plant food.

Pick up a few florescent daylights from Rona/Walmart.  If you have 12" deep, and 4feet across, 2 should be fine (tubes).  Larger, go with 4 tubes (2 lamps).

I've seen this build, only the left side wasn't built as strong as the left side and some water "leaked" out.  (flooded really..).  Its been rebuilt with concrete.

dpatte

i appreciate the info, Danny, but i was thinking more perhaps a ninja-turtles wading pool and a fllodlight or two. Any ideas if that might work?

StylinT

would a 50 gallon rubbermaid bin be good enough an some how hook a light fixture from the celing down onto that ???

dannypd

Quote from: "StylinT"would a 50 gallon rubbermaid bin be good enough an some how hook a light fixture from the celing down onto that ???

Just make sure you DONT use the BLACK ONES!!!

The black ones are ONLY good for breeding ghost shrimp/cold water fish (rosy's, goldfish, etc).

For plants, you should paint the container white/green/blue  (the blue purchased ones are not good).

Light fixture needs to be ATLEAST 2' from the top of the container.  Any farther then 2' and they wont grow.

dannypd

Quote from: "dpatte"i appreciate the info, Danny, but i was thinking more perhaps a ninja-turtles wading pool and a fllodlight or two. Any ideas if that might work?

This would work perfectly, how we kept our plants alive in the winter months ;)

Again, buy that fountain pump!!

squeeker

Why are the black ones no good?

dannypd

Quote from: "squeeker"Why are the black ones no good?
'

I always had plants turn white with black rubbermaids....always.

The upper leaves were fine, but under the first 2 inches of water, the plant goes a whitish colour...

StylinT

would they be going whitish from the black tub absorbing all the light ??

dannypd

Quote from: "StylinT"would they be going whitish from the black tub absorbing all the light ??

To tell you the truth, I don't know.

I am assuming so, but I wouldn't know scientifically, just from actual experience.

Sue

There was an article in today's citizen about a local couple and their huge pond, and it gave their website.  On the site there's a good article about building an 1,200 gallon pond in thier basement, including some info on pond plants they are trying to keep alive indoors.

http://www.tjtdesign.com/Pond/ponding.htm