New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Who has/wants an outdoor pond

Started by dpatte, February 24, 2005, 10:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

who here has an outdoor pond in the summer, or plans to install one this year?

I am curious about many things, like the gallons, the size and depth, and the type of filtration you use.

Also do you have a waterfall? How high?

Aiglos

Im only the subscriber of 3 pond magazines....

im dying to have an outdoor pond but It's not feasable so I can only dream.  No backyard.  Have been toying with the idea of an indoor pond just because I want one so bad.  I almost bought an acre of land just to put a pond on it :)

motoman

I've built two well three ponds now. One for my mom, one for my high school bball coach and I set on up in our basement last year for my mother's gold fish over the winter. The pond at my mother's we used a pool/pond liner for. It's only small, about 2.5/3 feet deep and has two levels and it's about four feet around. We made a waterfall using the dug out ground and rocks. It works well. She keeps 6 large gold fish in there every year. We use a pond pump for the waterfall and bought a pump/filtration box for it to sit in. It works pretty good. The pond for my old coach was a preformed kidney shaped one. They didn't keep fish just plants and they had a fountain in it. The pond in my basement was a 120 gal. water tank for cattle. I used my mom's pond pump and just let the water run down the side of the pond for circulation. Lighting was my only problem. I need to build a corner shelf and install flourescent lights above it if I want to have plants next year. Any other questions?

dpatte

any idea of # gallons and the type of pump you used?