New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What kind of fish have people kept in a pond?

Started by oenology, April 18, 2005, 07:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannypd

Quote from: "Aiglos"DannyPd:  Are you sure they are illegal in canada ?  Its legal to buy piranhas,  but pirahnas will not survive the canadian winter so they are not a threat to taking over waterways, ponds and creeks.  I would find the law rather stiff involving pirahnas in personal ponds.  I did a google search and found lots of places in the states they are illegal but could not find any canadian content.

There is a technical loophole the gov't can charge you with concerning this.

It's the introduction of un-native species into our environment.  If there were a flooding lets say, and they got away.  (apparently, goldfish are allowed because the ottawa river harbours bass-family fish already, thus goldfishies are legal...but if you cross the border, it's "unheard" of...)

I have never seen anyone charged in Canada yet, but I'm just saying..

...if it helps, one of my neighbours has an heated "African lake" pool in his green house (tang lake), it has a 7' diameter.

dannypd

Actually, he's got snakeheads now.....he replaced his collection when the USA banned them...

(I just took a stroll to his place)

oenology

Quote from: "dannypd"

...if it helps, one of my neighbours has an heated "African lake" pool in his green house (tang lake), it has a 7' diameter.

Jealous!!!!

dannypd

Quote from: "oenology"

Jealous!!!!

Me too....until you see the fact he's using an ELECTRIC heater for this thing....

(I'm assuming $100 a month in electricity or MORE)

Roop

Jealous!!!!

Me too....until you see the fact he's using an ELECTRIC heater for this thing....

he'd be far better off with a natural gas heater, probably one designed for a pool. ours heats our pool (15,000g) and costs no where near $100 a month.

it takes about 1200watts of submersible heaters to crank up the temperature in my old pond (500g), and much of the heat is lost over night. there's no way i would heat it electrically.

dannypd

Quote from: "Roop"

Jealous!!!!

he'd be far better off with a natural gas heater, probably one designed for a pool. ours heats our pool (15,000g) and costs no where near $100 a month.

it takes about 1200watts of submersible heaters to crank up the temperature in my old pond (500g), and much of the heat is lost over night. there's no way i would heat it electrically.

His fish were found on the ground a few days ago....

...still alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :shock:

No wonder they are banned, LOL

edit:  the fish he has now are breeding snakeheads...

Aiglos

Snakeheads are terrible fish... id be more worried about them, then Pirahnas.

dannypd

Quote from: "Aiglos"Snakeheads are terrible fish... id be more worried about them, then Pirahnas.

Good guess, just after I edited my post!

Apparently he's selling them to aquariests and China Moon...

Aiglos

Id be worried about snackheads entering our water supplies.. people will be none too impressed if they get loose..... the problem is even with a secured pond they are still able to escape/travel with birds as eggs ect.   that they pose a great threat to our ecosystem.

dannypd

Quote from: "Aiglos"Id be worried about snackheads entering our water supplies.. people will be none too impressed if they get loose..... the problem is even with a secured pond they are still able to escape/travel with birds as eggs ect.   that they pose a great threat to our ecosystem.

I dont think we need to worry about their eggs, but there ability to live OUTSIDE of water for almost 3 days...

however, they cannot survive in canadian winters (thank god...)...

In Japan/China, there are plenty of news agencies making fun of the USA's reports: "Fish more dangerous then piranhas threatens humans", etc.

Considering there are plenty of fish farms in china raising these fish for soup...