New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

tub garden

Started by Roop, May 08, 2005, 02:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roop

i setup a small tropical tub yesterday. it's a rubbermade container that's 3' long, 1.5' wide and 1' deep. it gets to about 20°C at the hottest times during the day and drops to about 12-13°C at night.

i put white cloud minnows (10) and some sword tail fry (4) as well as a guppy (dannyp's). there are 3 tiger lotus plants which i hope will flower as well as water hyacinth, water lettuce, egeria, rotala and a few others. there's no filter although i might throw in a heater just for the nights that get really cold. i also cover it every night, just incase we get some nasty frost.

take a look at the pic. i'd encourage others to give it a try. i'm sure it'll be a good way to get your fish to spawn!

dannypd

Quote from: "Roop"i setup a small tropical tub yesterday. it's a rubbermade container that's 3' long, 1.5' wide and 1' deep. it gets to about 20°C at the hottest times during the day and drops to about 12-13°C at night.

i put white cloud minnows (10) and some sword tail fry (4) as well as a guppy (dannyp's). there are 3 tiger lotus plants which i hope will flower as well as water hyacinth, water lettuce, egeria, rotala and a few others. there's no filter although i might throw in a heater just for the nights that get really cold. i also cover it every night, just incase we get some nasty frost.

take a look at the pic. i'd encourage others to give it a try. i'm sure it'll be a good way to get your fish to spawn!

I use the same thing in my basement for my feeders and such.  (goldfish, rosy reds, plants and fry of various fish)

luvfishies

Cool!

This is mine from last year:

NjOyRiD

i love it
what kind of filter you guys uses?
in the summer, what happen if its like 35d for a week?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

dannypd

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"i love it
what kind of filter you guys uses?
in the summer, what happen if its like 35d for a week?

If its in the sun, it'll be 35 within a few days or so.

If its in the shade, no issues...not too many for most fish.

Mettle

Any predator issues with the fish you keep in there?

Roop

i don't have a filter on mine. there are like 15 small fish and the filtration provided by the plants will be more than enough for the fish.

predators? birds might eat the small guys but there are lots of plants they have to wade through. no self respecting cat is going to put effort into a 1" fish. some animals might drink out of there but i don't think anything else is going to occur. it didn't with my pond last year.

my tub hit 25 celcius at it's highest point today. it was pretty warm out with full sun. i plant on either moving it to  a partial sun location or building a 7' long by 3' wide by 2' high tropical raised pond.

danny, you'll have to come over in about a month!

dannypd

sounds good, It'll have to be by oc transpo most likely, but before july, for I'll be in europe.

Also, a good way to keep the container from buldging out is using ducktape  (or clear packaging tape) straight down the middle.  It should stick and hold.  The exposed tape should be skrunched to keep dirt from collection.

luvfishies

I just used an internal "stick on side" airdriven sponge filter. The heater was for the cool nights.

No waterchanges, just topoffs. Cherry Barbs did real well in there!

NjOyRiD

i wanna do one :(((

anybody wanst to help me??
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

dannypd

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"i wanna do one :(((

anybody wanst to help me??

Sure, list of things to buy:

-rubbermaid container
-airpump or fountain pump (or mag, dolphin, anything that moves water)
-livestock (plants, fish)
-heater (optional, and EXPENSIVE on electricity)
-clear duck tape (if using large rubbermaid, these aren't designed for water now, lol)

NjOyRiD

i have everything exeplt the fish and plants
I,ll show you what a got as a container in another topic ;)
370g System

motoman

hmmm... I have an idea for my mom's old style bath tub. As long as we can keep the drain plugged properly it will be good to go! Bugger to move though. I think it weighs about 150lbs empty so we'll have to choose a spot for it and leave it there.

Roop

an old cast-iron bathtub might look really nice. you can probably find a  rubber cork for the bottom drain and a bit of aquarium sealant would hold it there. if you do decide to do this, make sure you take lots of pics!

Roop

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"i have everything exeplt the fish and plants
I,ll show you what a got as a container in another topic ;)

buy some cheap fish. wcmm are 3 for $5 at aquarium you don't need a million, just 10 or $15 worth. air stones would be a good idea but my tub bubbles enough just from the plants. it's like a champaign bottle.

in about a month i should have more plants that i'll have space for. check it out on the classifieds forum.

NjOyRiD

i was thinking about putting all my fry of my central america streeam fish (mollies, palties , etc)
370g System