New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Attempted pond theft!

Started by suu, May 17, 2005, 08:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suu

For the last few weeks I've been re landscaping my little townhouse back yard.  I submerged my above ground pond into a garden area, and I'm now installing flagstone. Guess I'm doing a good job because during the early hours this morning someone went over my fence and tried to steel my filter and pump system and the floating bullfrog ornament.  It wasn't a kid because they were careful around the garden and used the stepping-stones.  When they pulled on the connecting hose between the filter box and the pump it came off in their hand.  It was around that time they were scared off, possibly by my startled cat that woke me up howling/screeching at the window.   Fortunately I hadn't added my 2 big shubunkins yet because the pump was pushed over to the side of the pond on an angle and it continued to pump the water out of the pond and sprayed it into the garden.  When I went out this morning the pump was close to running dry and there was only about 4 inches of water left in the pond.  The connector and frog were on the flagstone rim.  Anyone else ever encounter something like this?  If they come back to finish the job, I could end up being a new source for filter and pump systems for these guys all summer!  My son in law is going to install a motion sensor yard light for me this weekend.  I was thinking of leaving the fish in my aquarium & submerging galvanized chicken wire over the pond filter and pump and running the electrical cords through it so if someone tries to take the stuff again, they will be leaving with a 3' x 4' chunk of chicken wire too – a little hard to hid that under your jacket or walk down the street with.   Anyone have any useful ideas?

Jackdempsey

set up a video camera out there so if they take it then you can find out who it was, i have 4 cameras through my house and front and back yard with motion lights and a voice alarm system

dannypd

I've had issues in my yard as well, so this year I'm setting up my pump and filter medium inside my shed.

I only got to keep my pump because my homemade filter weighs ATLEAST 300 lbs :D

NjOyRiD

Quote from: "Jackdempsey"set up a video camera out there so if they take it then you can find out who it was, i have 4 cameras through my house and front and back yard with motion lights and a voice alarm system

ouch, how much that cost you to have all that?!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Iceman

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"
Quote from: "Jackdempsey"set up a video camera out there so if they take it then you can find out who it was, i have 4 cameras through my house and front and back yard with motion lights and a voice alarm system

ouch, how much that cost you to have all that?!

Gees, where do you live that you need that much security? :shock:

Aiglos

Thats insane.  Did you report that to the police ?  

I honestly can't believe that someone would do that.

Mettle

Police are horrid with stuff like that. They say things like, "It's a risk you take when putting something like that in your yard," and so on.

The front windshield of my parents' car got kicked in on Oct 30th of last year, while it was sitting in their driveway. They called it into the police who said, and no like, "It's the nigher before Halloween so you should expect something like this to happen." Who in their right mind expects to get personal proerpty stolen and vandalized?

EDIT: Just to add... At the time I was living in Germany, so I wasn't here at the house. But if I had been, I probably would've heard it. As it took place some time around 2AM and I'm such a night owl. Then I would've chased them off with my baseball bat. I've done that once before with kids who, for whatever reason, had snuck into our backyard. Probably to try the back sliding door to see if it was open. I quietly slid out the side door to the house and snuck around back. They jumped the fence into my neighbour's yard and took off down another street. Guess at 6'2" and 230 lbs., yelling and wielding a baseball bat I can be kind of intimidating, heh.

hummer

what kind of fence is it ? you can always put those pikes if it is a metal fence.  I find that it makes it much more difficult to hope a fence when they're spikes ontop of it. like the chain linked fences or you could setup some mesh so that they cant jump in. have the mesh come into you yard 3 feet and almost level to the fence.

s0me

Yea, make your backyard look like a fortress. *sarcasm*

Just get yourself a nice big dog who likes to chew on unrespecting kids arses for fun.

Roop

i would be very angry if that happened to me and would open a cap of wup-ass on whoever done it. i hope that never happens here. i do keep the fence locked at all times (insurance requirement for the pool) and am in a low-crime neighborhood,

suu

I called the police and they were very nice and said the motion light would definately help, they gave me a report number.  My neighbours are now watching too.  The fence on both sides is 5.5' and the back fence is only 4.5' so it pretty easy to get over.  I keep the gate locked.  If I wire everything onto heavy rock that will cause them problems too....wish I still had my dog!

Julie

Electric fencing might do the trick, keeps the cows in.
It amazes me how low some will sink;  I remember as a kid living in Ottawa someone stole my charlie brown bedspread off the clothesline.

Julie

Iceman

Quote from: "suu"....wish I still had my dog!

The proper dog can be a huge deterrent. We do have a security system in our house, but one time, the cats triggered one of the motion sensors. The police came and later told me, with that dog of yours, what do you need an alarm system for?

It is a terrible state that criminals to lazy or stupid have to take, or break, your stuff, which you probably worked hard for, saved up for, and finally get to reap the benefits of your work and time, only to get up the next day and see it gone or broken.  :x

The YOA..throw it away.

pegasus

QuoteThe proper dog can be a huge deterrent. We do have a security system in our house, but one time, the cats triggered one of the motion sensors. The police came and later told me, with that dog of yours, what do you need an alarm system for?
But watch out! After beeing rob twice in 6 month, I got a rott! Later, I went shopping for a better house insurance to find out that most of then would not take me because of the rott being too much of a risk.  :(

Iceman

Quote from: "pegasus"
QuoteThe proper dog can be a huge deterrent. We do have a security system in our house, but one time, the cats triggered one of the motion sensors. The police came and later told me, with that dog of yours, what do you need an alarm system for?
But watch out! After beeing rob twice in 6 month, I got a rott! Later, I went shopping for a better house insurance to find out that most of then would not take me because of the rott being too much of a risk.  :(

Right, but note the first three words of my post. My dog is a German Shepard Black Lab cross. Trained properly. Insurance company don't have a problem with "mutts".  8)

suu

Electric fencing and barbed wire are not permitting within city limits.... wonder if mouse traps work under water???

dannypd

Quote from: "Iceman"
Quote from: "pegasus"

Right, but note the first three words of my post. My dog is a German Shepard Black Lab cross. Trained properly. Insurance company don't have a problem with "mutts".  8)

Insurance companies dont visit your house to confirm the "trained dog"...

Also, pegasys' dog would lick any robber  :roll:

Iceman

I just meant your dog should be trained properly, nothing to do with insurance.

pegasus

Quote from: "Iceman"I just meant your dog should be trained properly, nothing to do with insurance.
Sorry but insurance companies don't even ask if the dog is trained, but you have a great idea... my dog is NOW officialy a trained  :wink: mutt.

On the Quebec Hydro work sheet for my house, there is a caution note to the electrical counter reader.... " Beware vicious dog " .... I had a collie at the time. :roll:

suu

The pond is up and running again.  I secured the pump to a brick with airplane wire then wired that all underwater to another pond rock, then leading out under the flagstone and then secured it the fence.  My son in law installed a halogen sensor spotlight that is quite blinding.  When I was adjusting it the first night, I had 3 neighbors come out to see what was going on, as the light was so bright.  Got to love that!  I've also put a sign "CAUTION DOG" in my window.  Still a little uneasy about putting the 2 large shubunkins out – think I'll wait.  Thanks for all the input.

dannypd

Quote from: "suu"The pond is up and running again.  I secured the pump to a brick with airplane wire then wired that all underwater to another pond rock, then leading out under the flagstone and then secured it the fence.  My son in law installed a halogen sensor spotlight that is quite blinding.  When I was adjusting it the first night, I had 3 neighbors come out to see what was going on, as the light was so bright.  Got to love that!  I've also put a sign "CAUTION DOG" in my window.  Still a little uneasy about putting the 2 large shubunkins out – think I'll wait.  Thanks for all the input.

Most fish are not usually stolen from Canadian Ponds, last case was in VANCOUVER!

Also, I could setup a type of capacitor/electrical shock wire.....it's only illegal if you were using it to keep people out of your property or on your car, but if you were intending using to keep "fish" in and someone got zapped....   :roll:  :roll:

Sue

and if a small child or other small animal gets zapped with too much current?

Just a thought...racoon's will raid ponds, and are capable of pulling things up by the cords. (like pumps).

Julie

Good point Sue.

The security lights should help.

Jackdempsey

i live in mechanicsville and its cost about 4 grand all together , but its all about feeling secure i have 2 young children and there safty is the most important thing

dannypd

Quote from: "Jackdempsey"i live in mechanicsville and its cost about 4 grand all together , but its all about feeling secure i have 2 young children and there safty is the most important thing

ya, ponds and children are not recommended IMHO.  But I have no kids and no small animals, so I have a few ponds...

suu

Unbelievable!!  Someone tried to get my pump / filter again!  They were unsuccessful as its weighted and secured down.  They pulled the spitter unit off the top of the pump and removed one of the floating ornaments but didn't take the stuff, not sure what scared them off – maybe it was taking too long.  Anyway I've decided not to put in the fish, it's a small pond, they are big and I don't want them to get hurt should this person decide to return a third time.  :cry:

Iceman

Freaking wankers. Wouldn't you love to hide in wait with a few people and nab the little buggers. Put a little fear into them if you know what I mean.

suu

I don't think this is a kid, they are being way to selective and careful with the ornaments they want, plus they are careful with the garden bordering the fence and the newly planted pond are.  Not to mention navigating all the flagstone I can't put in due to the rain.  So it's a caring thief!

jabber

You should put a note on something that they pull up that states "Smile - You are on candid camera"  

It might make them think about coming back if they think that their picture has been taken.

dannypd

Quote from: "jabber"You should put a note on something that they pull up that states "Smile - You are on candid camera"  

It might make them think about coming back if they think that their picture has been taken.

Even better, buy a security camera box and a simple LED blinker or light, hook it up facing the pond, and voila.  

Real to life looking security cam for under $20-30.  Bonus:  It can be upgraded to a REAL cam for only $100 more :D