New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Attempted pond theft!

Started by suu, May 17, 2005, 08:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannypd

Quote from: "suu"The pond is up and running again.  I secured the pump to a brick with airplane wire then wired that all underwater to another pond rock, then leading out under the flagstone and then secured it the fence.  My son in law installed a halogen sensor spotlight that is quite blinding.  When I was adjusting it the first night, I had 3 neighbors come out to see what was going on, as the light was so bright.  Got to love that!  I've also put a sign "CAUTION DOG" in my window.  Still a little uneasy about putting the 2 large shubunkins out – think I'll wait.  Thanks for all the input.

Most fish are not usually stolen from Canadian Ponds, last case was in VANCOUVER!

Also, I could setup a type of capacitor/electrical shock wire.....it's only illegal if you were using it to keep people out of your property or on your car, but if you were intending using to keep "fish" in and someone got zapped....   :roll:  :roll:

Sue

and if a small child or other small animal gets zapped with too much current?

Just a thought...racoon's will raid ponds, and are capable of pulling things up by the cords. (like pumps).

Julie

Good point Sue.

The security lights should help.

Jackdempsey

i live in mechanicsville and its cost about 4 grand all together , but its all about feeling secure i have 2 young children and there safty is the most important thing

dannypd

Quote from: "Jackdempsey"i live in mechanicsville and its cost about 4 grand all together , but its all about feeling secure i have 2 young children and there safty is the most important thing

ya, ponds and children are not recommended IMHO.  But I have no kids and no small animals, so I have a few ponds...

suu

Unbelievable!!  Someone tried to get my pump / filter again!  They were unsuccessful as its weighted and secured down.  They pulled the spitter unit off the top of the pump and removed one of the floating ornaments but didn't take the stuff, not sure what scared them off – maybe it was taking too long.  Anyway I've decided not to put in the fish, it's a small pond, they are big and I don't want them to get hurt should this person decide to return a third time.  :cry:

Iceman

Freaking wankers. Wouldn't you love to hide in wait with a few people and nab the little buggers. Put a little fear into them if you know what I mean.

suu

I don't think this is a kid, they are being way to selective and careful with the ornaments they want, plus they are careful with the garden bordering the fence and the newly planted pond are.  Not to mention navigating all the flagstone I can't put in due to the rain.  So it's a caring thief!

jabber

You should put a note on something that they pull up that states "Smile - You are on candid camera"  

It might make them think about coming back if they think that their picture has been taken.

dannypd

Quote from: "jabber"You should put a note on something that they pull up that states "Smile - You are on candid camera"  

It might make them think about coming back if they think that their picture has been taken.

Even better, buy a security camera box and a simple LED blinker or light, hook it up facing the pond, and voila.  

Real to life looking security cam for under $20-30.  Bonus:  It can be upgraded to a REAL cam for only $100 more :D