New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pond Fish

Started by shell, September 21, 2005, 01:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shell

How long can I keep goldfish and a common pleco in my outside pond.  Its not deep, about 15 inches and I'm wondering about how much cold they can withstand.

squeeker

When the water temperature drops below 50~60F, the fish start to go into their "hibernation" mode.  This is the very latest you should bring them in.

rockgarden

Goldfish - as long as the water isn't frozen, they somehow survive.   On two occassions, I have actually had my goldfish frozen in a block of ice.  On one occasion, they revived when the ice block was thawed out.  In the other case, they perished.

Plecos - I have no past experience with plecos kept outdoors. I have ended up with another pleco this year that came with the above ground mini-pond that I purchased from ROOP. There is a heater in the mini-pond though set at about 72 degrees so I guess that I could keep that pleco alive outside all year if I didn't mind the electrical bill.

Other fish - guppies outdoors tend to start disappearing when the water temperature at night drops below about 60 to 65 degrees.  Fancy guppies aren't as hardy.  I don't know about endlers. Zebra danios often survive the low 50's and I have even had some last when night-time water temperature dropped into the forties.  Swordtails can handle relatively cool temperatures but I would expect them to start perishing below about 60 degrees.  Tetras generally don't like much below 65 degrees.  White Clouds normally handle upper forties okay. I have tried all of these in outside ponds at one time or the other.  Usually had most trouble just reacclimating them to the smaller confines and water conditions of indoor aquariums.

Hope this helps. Generally I find that the time to shut down outside operations is when you start worrying about getting your hands cold.

Ron

nickie

Ron... you mention goldfish...."on two occassions I`ve had my goldfish frozen in a block of ice "    I assume your speaking of the " Koi "   and not the beautiful fancy lace-tail ones  ???.........
                                                                     John

rockgarden

Nickie - I'm speaking of the common goldfish a.k.a.  basic feeder variety - great pond fish - hardier than the fancy ones.

Shell - the bigger problem at this time of year is usually caused by the falling leaves which plug pumps and filters and start to rot on the botttom of the pond. The water quality and oxygen content can drop dramatically even if we experience an Indian summer and the temperature holds up for weeks.

Ron