New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Putting Pond Fish Back into the Pond

Started by Dragonlady, April 19, 2006, 08:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonlady

Our pond goldfish have overwintered in an aquarium this winter (the first time) and I want to put them back in the pond.  Does anyone know the best way to do this and whether the pond water should be above a minimum temp.?  Any advice would be appreciated!

Seanc

i was planing to put my fish in the pond this weekend. it is also my first time overwintering them inside. the temp dif is only about 8 degrees F so its not that big, but i might hold out to next weekend, because its supost to go down to 6 next week. so maybe 2 weeks from now. just to be on the safe side.
good luck
sean

squeeker

General rule of thumb is to wait until the pond water is consistently over 60F.  

I'll be putting my fish out into a pond this summer and I think I'm going to wait until May.

Seanc

Quote from: "squeeker"General rule of thumb is to wait until the pond water is consistently over 60F.  

I'll be putting my fish out into a pond this summer and I think I'm going to wait until May.
so about 2 weeks? :D  :wink:

limmer

Mine will probably go out in a couple of weeks.  Mainly that is how long it will take me to clean up and get the water circulating.  I imagine the goldfish could go out anytime as a lot of people leave their fish out all winter.  The the goldfish in the pond at my wifes work are left out all winter and they seem pretty active.  Try putting out a couple at a time.

gvv

Quote from: "limmer"Mine will probably go out in a couple of weeks.  Mainly that is how long it will take me to clean up and get the water circulating.  I imagine the goldfish could go out anytime as a lot of people leave their fish out all winter.
Complitely agree! If the weather will be fine enough to put the pump and check the stream this weekend, the fish will go there this weekend as well.
I know that my goldfishes if it is really cold stay near the pump to warm up a bit :) And the channel catfish will be happy to get into the cold water...
:idea: One suggestion nevertheless: there should be minimal temperature difference between water in the pond and water in the tank/container from which you are taking the fish.

Regards

Dragonlady

Thanks for the great info - I am going to check to temp on Friday (after two warm sunny days) and if it is near 60 the "sacrificial" fish will carefully be released.  I am assuming that I should float the fish in a bag for a while to bring the water temps close before release.  Thanks again.

Supressor

heh, you guys won't believe this but i'm gonna tell you anyways, my uncle has a so called "pond" (its just dug in) and theres gold pond fish in it, all year round and somehow they live? maybe its reallly deep for them to avoid the cold? no clue how they even got in there, because the property was bush (there is a house next door tho). If anyone is interested in maybe buying them I can get them out hopefully because he wants to get all them out for trout

mseguin

Usually if its 4' deep the fish can survive.

Supressor

Oh well I know for sure its deeper than that, truth is the property was my  great grandfathers, and he died and it got sold, and then turns out my uncle bought it.

Seanc

Quote from: "mseguin"Usually if its 4' deep the fish can survive.
remember this is 4' in the ground, not above or anthing. just to be clear(we made this mistake)