New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

rain barrel fishies

Started by Laura, April 23, 2006, 11:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

We've got a 2nd hand rain barrel without the screen lid which we'll be setting up this year - yes I know a mosquito proof lid is easy to create, however my partner wants some fish in the barrel, so I'm looking for suggestions as to species.  

I know that a bunch of species would live fine in a shaded area in the summer without a filter, however I want something that people would be interested in buying/taking (but not primarly as feeders - sorry) at the end of the season.   I also suspect that whatever we get may end up breeding in this species only environment, so we may very well have more than we start out with.

I do like shrimp, but don't thing they could deal with both the height of a rain barrel and mosquito larva - if anyone has any different info, please let me know as a barrel full of cherry shrimp would go a long way in paying for my hobby!!  (I think my partner's got his heart set on fish though)

White clouds or a danio sp would be my other options off the top of my head, or some endlers.  Maybe some golden killis....any other suggestions?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Aiglos

Any NA native to the lower states will do well over the summer.

If you can find Gambusia, Least Killifish, american flag fish they will all do well,  Endlers and White clouds wlil do fine, as will common guppies, stay away from the fancy kind.  I Don't know about the danios as ive never kept them but golden wonder killies would be perfect !!!! Really anykind of killi would do well over the summer.

This summer im putting out Least Killifish and American flag fish into a tub aswell.

Aiglos

P.S if you have a mosquito problem just get a brine shrimp net scoop em out and feed them to your fish they will love them

darkdep

Aiglos is right...hell I'm putting out pans of water on my deck this summer to cultivate mosquito larvae.  I've got the neighbours convinced I'm some kind of biological genius, and that I've discovered some amazing way of eliminating the mosquito population from our neighbourhood.  Bwuahahaha

sarahbella

How 'bout a betta or two??   would be interesting to see if they reproduce in a rain barrel...

luvfishies

Another good fishie would be Cherry Barbs. They're easy, and very pretty!

henry

Hi Laura
I would go with White Clouds, they would take care of the mosquitos. They are the rabbits of the cold water tank. You would have alot by fall, but unfortunately may be harder to sell as I believe most people are looking for them mostly in the spring for their ponds and such.

I have about 30 3/4" fry now. I stopped trying to save fry after the 2nd water change. Fry are really nice looking,.... alot like a small neon. They are very very hardy, eat everything and anything (go crazy for frozen daphnia and blood worms)and I think the water just has to be wet for them to spawn.  :lol:  They do love to spawn in java moss.

If you decide to go with white clouds PM and I will give you half my fry.
Regards
Richard

Laura

Thank you all for the suggestions and Richard, thanks very much for the offer of the white clouds.  I do like the white clouds, I've got some in with my fancy goldfish and they're a nice addition to the tank.

I still need to put some thought into what I would like to keep in there, so don't hold onto the white clouds for me.  They're still in the running, but I'm not sure where I want to go with the species in the barrel.  I think I'm leaning towards the killis or the cherry barbs.....maybe I'll need to set up a few barrels!

Cheers,
Laura
700 gal pond - Rosy reds