New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pond liner colour

Started by aidensmomma2000, April 29, 2006, 10:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aidensmomma2000

In response so this on the classifieds:

Quote from: jimskoi on April 29, 2006, 03:22:30 PM
Hi Ray,

Im not sure what you are using it for but i install ponds and I usually use pool liners.They are alot cheaper and you just have to cover them with a black plastic.Alot of times you can get them from places that install pools(used).Free.
Just a thought.They sell pond liner down here for .89/foot.

jim

Just wondering if the black makes it nicer for the fish or is just more visually appealing?

jimskoi

It probally does make a differnce to the fish.I like to use it because the black doesnt show as much as the blue would(algae) when you get it.

jim

aidensmomma2000

I guess the fish would be stressed out if in a brighter environment?

kennyman

Weathering would render that "Black Plastic" useless in a single season. We use only EPDM liners in the water features we build. Besides that it has now become commonplace for most professional installers to cover the liner with river rock and pea gravel to enhance the biological activity of the pond and protect the liners from the elements  ;)

aidensmomma2000

How do you keep it on there? Silicone?

kennyman

Placing large stones in a ring at the base of the sides, river rock strategicly up the sloped sides and filling pea gravel in last to cover the remaing spots of liner and give a natual look. This provides surface area for bacteria, hides the liner, and makes for a very nice water feature. It also  gives solids a place to settle so the bacteria and other micro fauna can work on them  :)