New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Opinions on Pond Filter

Started by darkdep, May 24, 2006, 07:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

My good neighbours have a small pond, about 400gals or so.  Last year, being relatively new to them, they had a massive algae problem.  Somewhere near the end of the year they found out I kept fish and I was able to teach them quite a bit about maintenance habits.

This year I recommended a new filter as their old one (a submersible POS) wasn't very easy to maintain.  I recommended an external of some type and a UV Sterilizer, and the fine folks at Big Als Kanata recommended this:  http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29451;category_id=2881;pcid1=2153;pcid2=

It's pricey ($429), but otherwise looks to be quite up to the job.  It looks to be easy to maintain and will overfilter for their pond size.

Anyone have any opinions on whether this is a good unit, or possible alternatives?  The fish load is about 4 koi, about 9-10" in size.

mseguin

That's a great filter, they could also go with the "trickle canisters" (not sure what to call them) but they dont have near the same amount of flow, and no built in uv. Also keep in mind that the pump isn't included at that price. And make sure they buy it in store, its the same price, minus shipping.

BigDaddy

No pond here but one philosophy... multifunction units are a pain

If the UV Sterilizer dies, your out a filter if you wanna repair it and vice versa.

I'd rather pay the slight extra coin to have two external units.  Plus, a UV Sterilizer isn't a requirement unless the pond is in direct sun.  Green water comes mostly from the presence of NH4... so with a proper biofilter and a few pond plans (and some barley in the filter or the bottom of the pond), you MIGHT be able to avoid that additional cost.

PaleoFishGirl

I didn't even put a filter on my parents' pond... well, okay, there's a prefilter on the pump for the 'waterfall'.  Apparently the fish they stocked it with did just fine, but if you actually care if they live...

mseguin

The UV sterilizer is relatively easy to replace in those units.

Mettle

I know that Laguna makes a comparable product as well and if I remember right they're not that expensive, but the product is basically exactly the same.

But just like this one the pump is separate so they would need to know what the gph of their pump is first.

I know a few people who have used this style of filter (but the Laguna one) for their ponds and have been very happy with the results.

squeeker

Have them spend their $ on a good pump. 

Then save some coin and build a Skippy Filter: http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

darkdep

The pond is in direct sun for part of the day.  I am pretty sure the previous algae problems were mostly due to improper maintenance (you wouldn't BELIEVE the crap in the old filter when I pulled it up last year...) but I'd like them to have the UV.  To be honest, they have money (lots more than me!) and paying a little extra for the UV is ok.

You're sure the pump is seperate for this unit?  Ok that might affect things.  I'll look into the Laguna units as well, and compare features.

I thought of offering a DIY filter and if it was MY pond, I would build it...but I don't have the time for another project at the moment and they're more of a "buy a finished product" kind of couple.

What's a decent 1500gph pond pump go for, roughly?

Mettle

Are you sure that 1500 gph is what they need?

mseguin

You could probably go with a ~750 gph pump, simple barrel filter, and a small uv for a pond that size. Probably wouldn't be too expensive.

nickie

If you have the time , there are lots of interesting articles on pond maintenance.....    http://aquarticles.com    In their search box type in pond pumps, or,... pond algea ,. or .pond filtration  ....        John

darkdep

Well, from what I gather 2x pond volume per hour is fine for filtration; (so 800gph).  But, I figure because it's a smaller pond it might be best to up it a bit.  The filter they're looking at is rated for 1500gph so I want to use a 1500gph pump (or something roughly that, 1200 would probably be fine too).

The barrel filters are pretty much just a barrel with media inside, right?  Intake hose on the top and outtake on the bottom or something like that, correct?

mseguin

gvv

Quote from: PaleoFishGirl on May 24, 2006, 07:29:30 PM
I didn't even put a filter on my parents' pond... well, okay, there's a prefilter on the pump for the 'waterfall'.
The same here.
I have this one:
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29405;category_id=3757;pcid1=2153;pcid2=
in my 220G pond. I have a short stream which is great for water aeration/heating during the day.
My water is greenish (even now) until my water hyacints (spelling?) start growing. I found them taking nutrients from water much more effectively than all these high-tech filters/sterilizers, so the water was clear for the whole summer. Not to tell they are much cheaper :)

And besides that the question if you have a place to put external filter, e.g. in my case I don't have...
Regards

PaleoFishGirl

Quote from: gvv on May 25, 2006, 11:53:56 AM
My water is greenish (even now) until my water hyacints (spelling?) start growing. I found them taking nutrients from water much more effectively than all these high-tech filters/sterilizers, so the water was clear for the whole summer. Not to tell they are much cheaper :)

And besides that the question if you have a place to put external filter, e.g. in my case I don't have...
Regards

Yep, water hyacinths are great for that (unless the squirrels or raccoons eat them all like they did mine, pesky things).

I know what you mean about having no room for an external - the pond I built is about 10 feet from the house with no good hiding places for a filter.

darkdep

Any other plant suggestions for nutrient suckers?

gvv

Quote from: DarkDep on May 25, 2006, 11:58:51 AM
Any other plant suggestions for nutrient suckers?
I know 2:
- water lettuce
- water hyacinth - I prefer this one as it blooms really beatiful...
The main idea is that they: providing shade/hiding to fish; covering surface (you need to take some out to free some place to see the fish) and giving less chances to algae in the pond and sucks nutrients from water.

Regards

BigDaddy

dannypd

Quote from: squeeker on May 24, 2006, 09:16:50 PM
Have them spend their $ on a good pump. 

Then save some coin and build a Skippy Filter: http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

I've done this WAY before them.

I bought a lot of sponges at a dollar store, but them in a rubbermaid bucket, voila!  I did the filter cleaning end of season and got 1 litre of VERY good potting soil!!

Seanc

"Do not clean this type of filter! ...This is the main reason we like this type of filter after all we didn't get as fat as we are because we overworked ourselves."

That is a great saying!

kennyman

I dont know if this situation applies to your neibours but people feed the fish in ponds way too much. They need to stop making all the nutrients to start with. Good old hornwort works wonders for N export and its a submersed oxeygenator aswell. We tell our clients to let the pond fish eat bugs and algae. Feed them once or twice a week at most. The feeding is for thier own entertainment and not nesasary in a properly stocked pond.

dannypd

Quote from: kennyman on May 30, 2006, 08:21:31 PM
I dont know if this situation applies to your neibours but people feed the fish in ponds way too much. They need to stop making all the nutrients to start with. Good old hornwort works wonders for N export and its a submersed oxeygenator aswell. We tell our clients to let the pond fish eat bugs and algae. Feed them once or twice a week at most. The feeding is for thier own entertainment and not nesasary in a properly stocked pond.

Excellent point!

I feed my goldies once a week, and only 5-6 months of the year.  They are almost 4 years old, survived the winters "almost" outside (plexi tank, garage, temp: -30.  Water: 4.  Ice...oh yes.)  They are getting close to 4-6".

On the other end, my parents started with fish AFTER me, but they feed them "almost" daily, bring them INSIDE a heated BEDROOM in the winter, while STILL feeding almost daily.  Sometimes skipping a few days.  Their size:  6-9".

I'm happy with my smaller fish.  I know they are not being stunted because I have more room and water volume then my parents, so they are less of a hassle to take care of.  Also, no one is tempted to eat my fish.  (Big fish make sea food lovers salivate(sic)...)

darkdep

Great points guys, I think my neighbours are feeding daily...I'll pass along these suggestions (and I like the hornwort idea too).

Dannypd:  Can I ask the dimensions of the plexi tank you stored them in in the winter?  Depth?  I was leery to suggest they store their fish in the garage in the winter but it appears maybe they could have...