New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Opinions on Pond Filter

Started by darkdep, May 24, 2006, 07:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyman

I dont know if this situation applies to your neibours but people feed the fish in ponds way too much. They need to stop making all the nutrients to start with. Good old hornwort works wonders for N export and its a submersed oxeygenator aswell. We tell our clients to let the pond fish eat bugs and algae. Feed them once or twice a week at most. The feeding is for thier own entertainment and not nesasary in a properly stocked pond.

dannypd

Quote from: kennyman on May 30, 2006, 08:21:31 PM
I dont know if this situation applies to your neibours but people feed the fish in ponds way too much. They need to stop making all the nutrients to start with. Good old hornwort works wonders for N export and its a submersed oxeygenator aswell. We tell our clients to let the pond fish eat bugs and algae. Feed them once or twice a week at most. The feeding is for thier own entertainment and not nesasary in a properly stocked pond.

Excellent point!

I feed my goldies once a week, and only 5-6 months of the year.  They are almost 4 years old, survived the winters "almost" outside (plexi tank, garage, temp: -30.  Water: 4.  Ice...oh yes.)  They are getting close to 4-6".

On the other end, my parents started with fish AFTER me, but they feed them "almost" daily, bring them INSIDE a heated BEDROOM in the winter, while STILL feeding almost daily.  Sometimes skipping a few days.  Their size:  6-9".

I'm happy with my smaller fish.  I know they are not being stunted because I have more room and water volume then my parents, so they are less of a hassle to take care of.  Also, no one is tempted to eat my fish.  (Big fish make sea food lovers salivate(sic)...)

darkdep

Great points guys, I think my neighbours are feeding daily...I'll pass along these suggestions (and I like the hornwort idea too).

Dannypd:  Can I ask the dimensions of the plexi tank you stored them in in the winter?  Depth?  I was leery to suggest they store their fish in the garage in the winter but it appears maybe they could have...