New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

The pond is in! Updated Pics July 19!

Started by squeeker, May 29, 2006, 01:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squeeker

Woohoo, the pond is filled, the plants are growing, and I put the first fish outside today!

Thanks to groan for giving me the pond (and helping me tie it to the roof of my car in the pouring rain  :D)

This pic was taken from the upstairs window.

RoxyDog

yippee!  drinks by the side of the pool (okay pond) at squeeker's!   ;D
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

squeeker

If the yard were actually big enough for more than 4 people to comfortably stand in at once...  :P

babblefish1960

Congratulations on getting the pond in before the snow. Perhaps if you constructed an arched bridge over your pond, you could have six people standing in the back yard for drinks. ;D

dannypd

4 ppl?  c'mon, I've seen more overcrowded tanks in my days...

kennyman

congrats on the water feature. Is that arrowhead along with the lillies?

groan

sorry to chime in late.

looks great!
Here is a shot of it in it's previous home...

and yes there were fish!

squeeker

Wow, it looked great before.

hopefully my plants will fill in some...

az

newb que! how deep is it? good for winter? thanks.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

babblefish1960

Quote from: az on June 05, 2006, 04:53:30 PM
newb que! how deep is it? good for winter? thanks.

Overwintering a pond is a tricky thing, first it must be below the frostline, in this region I believe that is three feet, much deeper where I come from, unless you put in an array of airstones to keep it from freezing over.

Above ground ponds can't do it unless you bury the sides with haybales or the like, as the ice will push out the sides of the structure without additional support.

If your pond is shallow, the fish need to go to the basement to survive, mind you, one particularly bad winter I had a koi frozen in ice, and I was very sad, but miraculously, during a thaw, I noticed that it was able to swim and seemed fine for years, just lucky I suppose.

Enjoy the new swimming pool squeek, there will be days acoming that you'll be swimming with the fishes while you sip margueritas avoiding the heat.

squeeker

Babble said it right, the pond would have to be much deeper to overwinter the fish.

Even if it were deep enough, I'd pull my fish out anyway as they are fancies, and fancy goldfish can't take the cold like koi and commons/comets can.

I can't wait to be sitting beachside... mmm... margeritas...

squeeker

Thought I'd bump this up with some updated pics of the pond with all the plants filled in.

Two lily flowers!

Fish pics:

And the guys who stayed inside just had a tank makeover.

babblefish1960

Very preeeeetty, but where's the bridge?

aidensmomma2000

babblefish1960

There should be, she just got married. ;D

Mettle

What types of goldies do you have in there? And how're they doing?

gmueller

squeeker

QuoteVery preeeeetty, but where's the bridge?
Why, is there troubled water?

Hehe, nope, at least not yet... and the pond is WAAAAY to small for a bridge!

QuoteWhat types of goldies do you have in there? And how're they doing?

There are 4 fish: Cleo the white fantail, Nemo the calico ryukin, Tux the orange ryukin, and Wilson, my friend's pearlscale who is spending his summer in the pond.  The fish are doing GREAT.  I've noticed growth, and a dramatic improvement in color!

squeeker

Awww, my first hyacinth bloomed this morning!  :)

jimskoi

Very nice pond and it filled in well.Here is a shot of mine.I put them in last year.Im heading up to Ottawa tomorrow.Hopefully I can pick up a couple more butterfly Koi at BA.

[attachment deleted by admin]

squeeker

Really nice, I like the waterfall.  I want to do that one day when I actually have a yard.

babblefish1960

I dunno thar squeek, looks as though you have more than a few feet already never mind a yard, you kin shirley fit some falling water from somewheres off of that bridge of yers somewheres already. Give it a try, even if'n it's only fer a few inches, it'll provide some noise back there for all to see. Elseways, I see know problems with wot ya gots now, 'septin' its got no beach. :D

RoxyDog

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.