New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cracked back panel on 75..

Started by blueknight0303, January 18, 2013, 09:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueknight0303

so i have a 75 gallon with a cracked back panel near the middle... unfortunately the crack is from top to bottom of the glass..

its either i seal it with another glass on top of the crack or replace the whole panel...

any suggestions?? thanks!

Aquaticfinatic

Maybe more trouble than its worth. You'll have to work out repair cost versus replace cost. Maybe good chanc for you to go bigger  ;)

blueknight0303

repair cost should probably cost me $30 or less if i am going to reinforce it... but if im going to replace the whole panel it might cost me around $80 or less... ill be willing to go bigger if someone is kind enough to give me a tank with stand  ;D

i just want to know if someone here has experience about cracked tanks. and could give a good insight on what is going to happen.

JetJumper

for $80 its cheaper to buy a new one.  I have bought 75g tanks used in good condition from here and other local classifieds for $20-30
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

blueknight0303

believe me ive been browsing since last year and i have never seen it go down for $100.

exv152

Definitely more trouble than it's worth. I'd go rimless starfire.
;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Nerine

a repair might end up with water all over your floor if you just reinforce it!!

cracked tank = good reptile tank!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

blueknight0303

actually i might be wrong with the price... back panel glass seems to cost like $15-$20.... a tube of silicone costs like $4~ish.. and i just realized that the cracked glass at the back aint holding anymore so reinforcing it was a bad idea.. i guess ill just try to repair it just for experience.. once done ill let it sit at the garage for a month or less with constant water movement and hope it wont leak.. thanks for the replies! =)