New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Can you identify this illness?

Started by angelcraze, February 21, 2013, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcraze

My fish has looked like this for about a year.  He still eats vivaciously, swims normally, doesn't hide, doesn't get worse or better.  He was in a community tank for that year, and nobody else exhibited signs of disease like this during this period, or any other illness.

I have him on his own right now in a 5g tank, because I don't know what his affliction is, and I haven't treated him yet because he's been fine (just looks bad) for a year, and it didn't seem contagious, but most of all, I don't know what's wrong with him, and I don't want to throw in unnecessary meds.

Symptoms:  2 black (blacker than the pic shows) dots near his mouth
                   'lumpy' body near tail
                   clamped tail fin

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

blueknight0303

some of my swordtails have the same symptom on your third picture. they get weak and die for some reason.

i still dont know what cause those things to grow or what they are exactly..  :(

Shawn84

It could be from the fish being inbreed to much that its starting to cause deformity. 
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

angelcraze

Thanks for the replies.

Quote from: exv152 on February 21, 2013, 05:55:03 PM
Possibly a growth like a tumour.
I think it looks like a growth thing too, I am assuming it's not contagious since this fish has looked this way for a year or so and it did not spread to anyone else.  What do you think?

Quote from: blueknight0303 on February 21, 2013, 11:47:04 PM
some of my swordtails have the same symptom on your third picture. they get weak and die for some reason.
Do you find it spread to other swordtails?  Were any other fish infected?  Thanks.

Quote from: Shawn84 on February 21, 2013, 11:50:43 PM
It could be from the fish being inbreed to much that its starting to cause deformity. 
You are absolutely right, I bought 9 from the same store tank two years ago to cycle my tank.  Could be a deformity.

I have him on his own for now, I just wanted to make sure he didn't have an affliction I should be treating for.  I couldn't find out much about the black dots, they were there in the same place for a year, did not get worse or better.  I could only find fluke cysts, but I think an infestation would manifest itself by now, right?, if it was?

exv152

Quote from: angelcraze on February 22, 2013, 10:02:18 PMI think it looks like a growth thing too, I am assuming it's not contagious since this fish has looked this way for a year or so and it did not spread to anyone else.  What do you think?

I've had many fish get growths over the years, and most of the time they succumb to it eventually. Not much you can do about it other than euthanize it when it begins to suffer.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

angelcraze

Shawn84

If he's fine for that long just let him be. No need to treat anything. Deform fish are still healthy in a sense so just treat it as any normal fish.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........