New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Co2 regulator leak help!!

Started by Aud, August 12, 2013, 08:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aud

I just bought a co2 regulator and it's leaking at the 2 psi gauges, how to fix or where can I fix it??

Edit:Ill try tefflon tape on the thread tomorrow hopefully this works

daworldisblack

Yeap.. unscrew both guages and then teflon tape it again with fresh teflon tape. Get a good enough layer on but not too thick. Should help.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Aud

Quote from: daworldisblack on August 12, 2013, 09:48:41 PM
Yeap.. unscrew both guages and then teflon tape it again with fresh teflon tape. Get a good enough layer on but not too thick. Should help.

The gauges are so tight though, it's weird how do I unscrew... Just manually?

daworldisblack

Maybe if you uploaded a pic of your regulator I could not go by assumptions but if you have a regulator like the Milwaukee ones, you should see the base of the gauges have got a hex-bolt. use a crescent spanner to remove it. Crevices can be the tiniest but under much pressure, its the path of least resistance and your co2 will leak. "seems tight" is usually not enough - always do a soap water test to ensure there are no leaks.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Quote from: Aud on August 12, 2013, 09:51:33 PM
The gauges are so tight though, it's weird how do I unscrew... Just manually?
Make sure what type of thread those gauges are, some regs have one left & one right hand thread, while others have both right hand threads.
On another  note the Milwaukee regs. have all their Gauge  threads sealed in some way making it almost impossible to remove without damage.
Regards

exv152

Quote from: charlie on August 13, 2013, 10:40:53 AM
On another  note the Milwaukee regs. have all their Gauge  threads sealed in some way making it almost impossible to remove without damage.Regards

This is true. Some manufacturerers actually glue the gauges in place. Some folks use a vice and place the hex portion (not the actual gauge) in a vice, as it can be really tough to remove.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Aud

Sorry for not being able to upload pictures as I'm on my phone, and my computer is getting repaired :/, thank you so much guys I managed to remove the 2 gauges and damaged my high pressure gauge ( left hand threaded) it could of been so worse, (the needle is on the 400 psi disconnected). I will buy flex tape tonight after work and will tape the 2 gauges temporary until praxair can order a high pressure gauge left hand threaded.