New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Suggestions for a new 20 gallon bright LED light, medium-level plants

Started by Martin, December 15, 2018, 09:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

I'm looking at getting a new LED light for my freshwater 20 gallon (24x12x16"). I'm looking at around the $50 price range, which I know is low compared to what is available. I like really bright lights, and I also want to start getting more plants, but I do not plan on getting any of the fancier types that are hard to care for. Two options I'm looking at are the following:

Chihiros A-Series (A601): 5800 lm, ~8000K, 39W, for 60cm tanks (~$55-60 after shipping etc): https://www.ebay.ca/itm/371993340611?ul_noapp=true
Nicrew 18W, 7500K, 20-24" ($39+tax, with free shipping): https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071LJKNWS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A33ZKFW4KOEZQ4&psc=1

There are no additional specs for the Nicrew one, it seems like a more standard cheap one. I thought the Chihiros one might be overkill but there is a dimmer switch, and it might be good for trying out high-light plants in the future (I do have a complete CO2 setup, but it's not being used right now and I don't plan on refilling it in the near future). Would going with a smaller size for the Chihiros one be better?

Anyone have any comments or experience with these two lights, or have suggestions for alternatives? (I'm in Ottawa)

lucius

Are you hanging the light?

If no and your 20 gallon has a trim on top , I think your only option is the Chiros one.  The Chiros is the only one with plastic tabs that would allow you to install directly on top of the tank.

Gilbotron

I have a couple Chihiros A-Series LED's. I have the small fixture on a 10g (30cm?) and the 60cm fixture on a 29g. 

I'm getting fantastic results on the 29g at 80% brightness - no CO2, great growth, no algae, and its quite a tall tank.
The 10g has been a little more challenging as its not very high, and its dirted, so algae was a bit of an issue as the light is way too bright for that (I seem to have stopped the algae by running at 40% brightness).

Overall I'm pleased with them for the price. They do get quite hot compared to other LED's so make sure you have ample space around for airflow. The light is very clean looking, but it is only white light with no adjustable colours so it doesn't allow for showcasing fish as well as other RGB LEDs.

I do need another 60cm fixture. If you find them at a good price, please PM the link.

Martin

Does the Chihiros get hotter than normal even on a lower brightness setting? Is it hot as in painful to touch, or just warmer than a typical LED light? I noticed there's a 5-color version, model A601M, but it sounds like it's meant for saltwater tanks. It has 3 color settings: White only (9000K); red, green, blue, and deep blue lights on only; and all lights on (both white and the colored ones). You can see the specs here:

http://www.chihiros.cn/en/productd/m2/id363.html

Do you think the A601M would be good for planted freshwater tanks and also for showing off fish? I emailed Chihiros as well to ask them.

The 60cm one I'm considering would be for a 20 gallon tall, and it won't be hanged. I may eventually upgrade it to a larger (maybe 29/33gal) tank, so I might go with the 60cm one just in case, although I am a bit worried I'll get too much algae on my 20 gallon. Too bad the shipping on eBay (from China) takes forever, although I'm not in too much of a hurry, and eBay seems like the cheapest option (they're new too).

Gilbotron

I've no experience with the Chihiros M models, but looking at the specs it probably wouldn't be great for plant growth. I'm sure it will grow plants (any light works) but it will probably create lots of algae issues.  I don't think it would be great for showcasing freshwater fish either as that colour temp is more blue which will give a neon effect. 

Yes - even at 40% its hot but not enough to hurt someone. It would be hard to hold it for more than 5 seconds. At 80% or higher, its is really hot - you could probably cook an egg on it. Not enough to burn you if you accidentally touch it, but you wouldn't be able to hold onto it without some significant profanity.

On a 20g Tall the Chihiros should work ok. Its only 2" shorter than my 29g.  Just don't go max power to start unless you have really demanding carpet plants or will be using ferts and CO2.  I'm at 80% power with 100% plant coverage as well as floating frogbit (50% coverage) - no algae issues.  No ferts other than overfeeding and an occasional splash of flourish. No CO2.

Here's a pic I had on file so you can see what the colour is like.  No judging - frogbit is a little out of control (almost completely covering the surface so its a little dark) and tank is in need of a cleanup.

Martin

I bought the Chihiros A601 and it finally arrived today:) I love how bright it is. Even at 60% it's much brighter than my previous light (on my 20H). I like the 60% setting so I'll stick with that for now. I don't have a ton of plants at the moment, but I'll be getting some more soon, I was waiting for the light to arrive first. It felt like forever for it to arrive (I ordered it around Dec 20th, shipped from China, and it arrived during the estimated time, which was Jan 14th-24th).