New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Co2 regulator

Started by HayleYoyo, February 28, 2020, 08:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HayleYoyo

Hey guys,
I bought a used regulator that has a solenoid, bubble counter and gauges all built in.

I’m having some problems

1, the bubble counter leaks. The leak is at the top. It didn’t have any kind of washer. Will a normal rubber washer do the trick?

2. The bubbles slow down through out the day. I have it set to 3 bubbles a second, and an hour later, it will be a bubble every two seconds

3. The working pressure gauge doesn’t work. The needle starts off near the ‘max’, and just shoots up as soon as the co2 turns on.

Any idea how to fix this?
I’m sure there is no other leaks. I put soapy water on all the connections, and only the bubble counter had one

lucius

Assuming your working pressure gauge is working, you can try the following steps.  Otherwise you can remove it see if something is clogging it.

Shut off your CO2 tank and turn the solenoid on until all the CO2 is gone from the regulator.  Once both gauges are at zero, turn off the solenoid and close the regulator.  Instead of connecting your tubing to your diffusor right away, attach a check valve but backwards.  Open the CO2 tank and your bottle pressure gauge should read 800 to 1000, check for leaks between the CO2 bottle and your regulator.  Then slowly turn the knob until it reaches your desired working pressure.  This will depend on what you are using to diffuse the CO2.  Check for leaks again up until the working pressure gauge.  Then turn on your solenoid and check for leaks again throughout.  By plugging the check valve in backwards, it will add some back pressure and leaks will more easily be found.  Once you confirm that there are no leaks, plug the tubing to your diffusor.

You didn't mention if you have a needle valve, do you have one?

HayleYoyo

I disconnected the co2 regulator. And let out any air.

The needle is still on the 'working pressure', is always near  the max. It goes to the max when I add co2.

I do have a needle Valve.

I'll leave the solenoid plugged with the tank closed, and the other valves open.

lucius

The seller confirmed that everything was working?  Seems like there is something wrong with it.

HayleYoyo

He claimed it was working. Honestly, my feeling is if it wasn't working, it was because he didn't know